Minnesota North Shore

Wyelde

Rode out of Tofte Sunday-Tuesday. The access from the back of the Americinn Hotel is doable, not groomed, but not as bad as I thought. Plenty of snow on it. The only parts of the State trail that were good is where they ran on the forest roads, otherwise they were ungroomed and rough. There was a pretty big water hole that was not passable without water skipping about a mile up the Tomahawk trail, We elected to go around on the Forestry roads. All the forestry roads were great, nice and smooth with lots of snow, The only issue is that there were a lot of trees and branches bent down over the roads. I had to use my folding saw a couple of times to get through, but once we did, we got into areas of virgin trails with a good 2' of snow. Yesterday, we went north of Tofte on the State Trail, and it was impassable just north of lutsen. We went on the Caribou trail there and it had been groomed which was a nice surprise, It allowed us to bypass the blocked part of the State trail, and we ran into 2 groomers that came from the NE. The front groomer did not have a drag and was using it's blade to push the fallen trees back into the woods and the other groomer right behind it was pulling a drag. I believe that they will have the entire trail opened and groomed by this weekend.

BTW, I made it up to the Devils Track general store, and contrary to rumors, they do have gas and plan on selling gas all winter.

My buddy and I rode the same area Sunday-Monday and some trails were rough and not groomed. Forest roads were nice and we also had to use a folding saw to clear trees. HaHa, fun first ride though.

groomerdriver

VV Mapping chip has the fire roads on it. Problem is that when we were there (Dec. 22 & 23) very few were passable. Trestle was closed.

Wyelde

One of the guys I rode with had a U.S Forest service map for Superior National Forest that showed all the forest roads in the area. However, it did not do a good job of showing the trails. One of the regular trail maps we had for the area showed a lot of the forest roads.

Mtkaboater

A bunch of us stayed at the Knotted Pine in Isabella on NewYears. The trail is barely passable even though there is plenty of snow due to trees all over the trail. Bring a saw and help the local guys out for an hour... We are trailering today to the North Shore Trail which was in decent rideable conditions yesterday.

Last edited: