MN snow

sweeperguy

North of Brainerd, then the farther north the better. Kid from work went to Park Rapids last weekend. He said it was good to very good. Reports from the North Shore are all very good. Some whooped up trails, lack of grooming or heavy traffic not sure which. My boss said Orr got a heck of a base and lakes should be safe by now.

mmhamm

Just got back from Grand Rapids. Great conditions, not much traffic. Some of the swamps are bumpy, but overall had a great ride. Stayed at the Saw Mill Inn - good place, easy trail access, clean rooms, great restaurant and reasonable rates.

alwaysright

North shore was in great shape this last weekend, stayed in two harbors and rode north, very good snow in two harbors, excellent as we got up to finland area. Trails were flat, and fast. Got a little chatter bumps in the afternoon but that's only because of all the traffic, I'm sure they've taken care of that by now and it's great again.

elf

Trails along the north shore were in great shape this weekend. Ran the NSST sunday morning from Finland north to Tofte and back (had to be home for the Packer game or would have gone further) and it was awesome.

sno-x

Think the trails north of Grand Rapids will hold up to the warm weather predicted to go riding this weekend?

Thanks

oldguy

In Tower we still have plenty of snow and it was below zero the last several mornings. If the temps stay in the high 20’s and low 30’s at night the trails could take a major hit by Saturday. If it stays in the teens or lower at night the trails should be still ok.

jschnell20

My experience on the North Shore was different. From Silver Bay to Finland on the main corridor NSST trail it was crap in the afternoon, all moguls. Too much traffic. Sunday morning rode the side loop trails like the Blue Bird to Finland and they were fine. Got back on the NSST up to Trestle Inn and it was fine until the Tomahawk. On the way back we stopped in Finland to watch the Packers. Then back on the NSST to Silver Bay it was crappy moguls. I should've stayed with the side trails going back. Monday morning we had a nice ride on the Bluebird, it was fresh groomed and no traffic. Did the loops, George's Gorge was very nice. So if you head up there and need the main corridor trails, i'd ride early in the day to beat the crowds.

elf

For Jschnell20,
Really?? We didn't run the section of the NSST between Silver bay and Finland, except for the short stretch between the moosewalk and the Hockamin trail on saturday afternoon and it was fine. We did run thru Tettagouchee SP and hit the bluebird trail and Georges Gorge trail Saturday late morning and they were perfect. The Moosewalk trails were excellent on Saturday also. The east trail in and out of Finland up to the NSST and up to the Wildhurst were rough by Saturday afternoon and really rough Sunday. The NSST from Finland to Tofte was excellent on Sunday (but we were off it by about 12:30) and then the Tomahawk from the 600 road (near the Trestle Inn) was freshly groomed about when we came down it about 11:30 Sunday morning.
Sorry you ran into rough trails but there were a lot of people up there last weekend. Most we've seen in a long time.

xcr440

Yeah traffic will dictate how good the NSST is in the afternoon/evening - two weekends ago the NSST was perfect up and down the entire run from Two Harbors to Grand Marais even on Sunday night, but then again, it was colder, and not nearly as many people were on it compared to last weekend.

My experience on the North Shore was different. From Silver Bay to Finland on the main corridor NSST trail it was crap in the afternoon, all moguls. Too much traffic. Sunday morning rode the side loop trails like the Blue Bird to Finland and they were fine. Got back on the NSST up to Trestle Inn and it was fine until the Tomahawk. On the way back we stopped in Finland to watch the Packers. Then back on the NSST to Silver Bay it was crappy moguls. I should've stayed with the side trails going back. Monday morning we had a nice ride on the Bluebird, it was fresh groomed and no traffic. Did the loops, George's Gorge was very nice. So if you head up there and need the main corridor trails, i'd ride early in the day to beat the crowds.

I would say this describes just about any weekend on the north shore in my experience. Hit the main trails early and they are great. You need to get north of the Lutsen area to have any hope of finding smoother trails after 2pm on the weekends.
If you have the chance ride Wednesday to Friday. Its like a different world compared to weekends.