Mod ideas for my 2003 SKS 700, lets hear them.....

pirate

I have a stock 2003 Polaris SKS 700 with SLP trail can . ( It does have new stainless power valves last winter )
I am going to switch to New Mohawk SLP skis (have slp powder pros now , love them on trail & off ) and either a 1.5 ripsaw or 1.6 cobra track , I'd say I'm a 60% hard fast trail rider . 20% fireroads and 20% boondocker , Ride northern Wi and the UP . Has 5600 miles on it , so going to freshen the top end to . Looking for diff & all ideas for mods , clutching , motor , intake , set up Etc . Welcome all ideas and thoughts . Can't afford a new sled for a few years , so figure on dropping a few thousand into the SKS and get another few seasons out of it b4 it becomes a spare . If it matters I'm 6'3" and 210 so seat, handlebars and rider idea's to.. Thx
Randal

mezz

While one could go crazy with mods on any sled, I don' think I would "drop a few thousand into it", but, to each their own. I think I would keep it as stock as possible with the exception of perhaps adjustable handle bars & a beefier track for the off trail. I would definitely NOT choose a ripsaw if I were riding any amount off trail, then again, my personal preference.-Mezz

Finance is an awesome thing, it keeps you from waisting money on repairs and upgrades. In two years that sled will be 14 years old, you might not want it around as a spare.

$2000 for your sled easily on CL or Ebay + $2000 cash you have now = $4000 as a downpayment or put towards payments to get you by for the next two years.

rp7x

been there done that

6' 3" on a sit down sled ? just go demo a newer one then report back, lol

indy_500

This was a hard one for me too, as I didn't like the reliability of the newer ones. I modded my 05 Switchback out a little, nothing with the motor, but I was able to sell the sled for $500 less than I paid for it with 2000 more miles on it, a crack in the hood, crack in the belly pan, and some dings to the running boards/side of tunnel, and I stripped it down to stock and sold off all my accessories for 50-70% of what i paid for them. I had a WRP mountain assault seat on mine, C&A XTX skis, sno stuff can, 3.5" rox pivot riser, drilled the boards, 2" challenger track, regeared, and rejetted. Also set the ski stance as skinny as possible. I actually made $50 on the skis and I bought my 08 with a can and traded it for the one I put on my switchback then sold it for $130. Not trying yo sound like some money maker just saying don't be afraid to buy stuff that holds value.

Last edited:

Woodtic

I have a bud that did a M10 136 with a 136 rip saw under his. He bought everything used and dirt cheep. The M10 was near free. It's a greet sled for what he has in it. Give Kip a call,he may have a good used track for you. I just picked up a near new 136 rip saw from him for a great price. It was for a 2000 Indy Classic that I didn't want to put a lot of $ into. Only paid a grand for the sled.

srt20

I personally wouldn't buy new skis or track for a 2003. Heck, I probably wouldn't spend money on a new track for any sled. Plenty of good to great used tracks for half price or less. Same with skis.

I'd spend a few bucks on maintenance, put a new monster sticker on it and call it refurbished. And enjoy the new found hp with the sticker.

pirate

Happen to really like the sled and got it for a good deal , and plan on keeping it for a spare at the cabin whenever I can swing a new one , but not for another 2 years .. Stock track is worn out and splitting and skis are warped ,do to it sitting in storage for 8 years .I'd call it a barn / garage find . It's a 144" not a 136" so pretty much have to go new with the track , have not found any used anywhere . Got it with only 1200 miles on it $2000 last fall ,
What jetting did you do Indy, would you recommend going to 480 mains from 500 stock mains and dropping the needle to the middle slot .. I've read that on a few other boards , Clutching ?

Hoosier

Happen to really like the sled and got it for a good deal , and plan on keeping it for a spare at the cabin whenever I can swing a new one , but not for another 2 years .. Stock track is worn out and splitting and skis are warped ,do to it sitting in storage for 8 years .I'd call it a barn / garage find . It's a 144" not a 136" so pretty much have to go new with the track , have not found any used anywhere . Got it with only 1200 miles on it $2000 last fall ,
What jetting did you do Indy, would you recommend going to 480 mains from 500 stock mains and dropping the needle to the middle slot .. I've read that on a few other boards , Clutching ?

When I was looking for a track before last season, I noticed used 144" are all over the place on snowest.com or hardcoresledder. Seems a lot of guys with switchbacks want a longer track than the 1.25" that comes with them. That would probably be just right for your sled. I bet you could get a good one for $200.

pirate

Where they 2.52 pitch like mine or the newer 2.86 pitch ? Which is all 2007 newer tracks from Polaris .

Hoosier

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383283

Get in touch with this guy. Or put a want ad on snowest or hardcoresledder. I doubt you want to spend $600 or $700 on a track for an 03. Tracksusa usually has good specials if you want to go new.

You probably can find some good used skis too. Like Indy said, lots of guys take their upgrades off sleds and sell them separate from the sled, since they don't add much if anything to the value of a used sled.

Bradzoo

I had a Boss seat on mine really nice upgrade and raise the bars 1 1/2-2 inches and rotate them forward that should make you more comfortable sitting, standing is a whole different story you would have to go ape hanger and that will be uncomfortable sitting. Just my 2 cents

Bradzoo

xc500mod

Pirate,

my brother in law is taking off a brand new cobra 1.35, 144'' track. he probably would sell it to you. send me a pm if interested.

thanks, xc500mod

dafuzz

I ride a similar sled, 03 RMK 700 151, I have tried newer sleds extensively many different times (10 M8 turbo, 13 HCR, 14 Renegade X, 11 Pro 800 144, 13 Pro 800 155), I always get back on my Edge and it just feels "right". I can ride with any of the other sleds mentioned with no issues, I won't be giving up my Edge anytime soon. I ride about 20% trails, 60% UP powder and 20% ditches in Northern WI and the UP. My sled has a lot of upgrades since I'd rather spend money on my Edge than buying a newer sled that I don't ride as well. My upgrades include:

Simmons Original Skis with good carbides. These skis are a great all around ski, if your suspensions set up right these skis float well and they're really nice when I'm stuck riding trails.
Scratchers down ALWAYS when on trail.
Stock Ryde shocks re-valved for rider weight and riding style. Also, I get my shocks completely checked over and recharged every spring.
Sylvania Silver Star Ultra headlight bulbs. These are a whiter light that work really good on snow, they make a big difference over the yellowish light from a stock bulb.
SLP exhaust, air horn, intake kit, speedo replacement screen, powder valves on airbox, cheater head, porting/polishing, VForce reeds, SLP push arm and torque arm, SLP clutch springs, weights and helix, 1 1/2" home made riser block, Lefty's DTC
VES serviced twice a year.
I only run non ethanol premium and Amsoil Interceptor, no exceptions.

My sled has over 14,000 miles on the original motor, original clutches, original track (its been ported and is missing some lugs but still does good for me so i keep running it). If anybody has any questions about particular mods i've listed ask away, I can try to break it down better. The key to running an Edge sled that keeps up with newer high performance sleds is good set up with the right upgrades, the key to keeping an Edge sled running for a long time is good preventative maintenance.