Moment of Truth

Despite growing up in the UP it wasn't until last winter that I purchased my first snowmobile. After finding an Indy Lite GT for my dad I was impressed by its simplicity and light weight. Before I knew it I'd found a second one identical to his and also low in mileage. When it came time to bring both machines north I had to do some improvising. I was able to fit one in my F350, the other I strapped onto a pickup trailer. By the time the frost heaves around Hurley were done with my trailer it was nearly broken in two. I made it through last winter but would obviously need to improve on my setup for the next season.

At about the time I put the sled away for the season I started to devise the new set-up. I wanted a trailer that would provide cover for the machine summer and winter (stout enough to shed/support lake effect snow), capability to turn the machine around (by turning the trailer by hand) since it doesn't have reverse, along with being able to drive the machine in or out from either end. In order to have the basics of the trailer running gear done already yet allow me to customize the superstructure, I picked up a 4' x 8' trailer with no deck from Fleet Farm. The width of the trailer allowed my walls to fit inside the fenders but the 10' length I needed meant building out over the tounge about 4" and off the back end about 20". To get the fewest seams in the 4' x 8' sheets of fiberglass I would use to cover the exterior, my roofline approximated the shape of the hood and windshield with steep sides to shed the snow. The size of the roof meant the sidewalls only needed to be 2' tall.

To build the trailer I started with plywood arches in the shape of the rooftop. 2 x 2s and 2 x 4s were attached to the plywood arches to form each roof truss. As with the trusses the 2 x 4s on the sidewall framing were mounted "sideways" in order to save space in the inside of the trailer. Two 10' 2 x 4s running the length of the trailer formed the bottom of the sidewalls and two more as a stout facia board that both the rafters and the sidewalls tied into. A ramp door at either end fold down for drive-in drive-out access. Grooves in the edge of the ramps lift the carbides up and the skis line up into a set of runners that follow the length of the trailer keeping the machine centered the whole way. Likewise, I mounted wooden cleats the length of the ramps and inside for the track to grab onto. To finish off the interior I mounted 3 12V ceiling lights and ran a separate trailer plug with enough wire to power these lights by running the cord out either end of the trailer.

I've been working on this project since last spring and last weekend the moment of truth was finally at hand. I hooked up the trailer and took it north. While I was pretty confident in my construction the fact remained that the Polaris was 200 miles away the whole time I designed and built my trailer. Once up at the storage shack the first job was to get the sled out. Last March I drove the machine down into the building from a snowbank, now I had to get it down 3-4 feet so I could drive it into the trailer. In anticipation of this move I picked a couple sets of rollers this summer. I slid the rollers under the track and a board between the track and the rollers. The rollers worked great and I backed the sled out and down to the ground with no strain. A quick prime of the motor and she fired right up. I must have had a wide smile as I ran the sled up and into the trailer where it fit perfectly. Success. Once I placed a couple tie-downs I was on the road. At dark I reached my drop off site and couldn't pass up the opportunity to snap a photo of the trailer with the interior lights fired up, back door down and the Indy Lite resting inside.

Thanks for reading along. I'm now truly ready for the season. I call this project my "roundhouse" since I can use it to turn my machine, I've also used this for my namesake here at JD.com. My trailer is probably equal in value to my sled but I hope to get some good years of service from each. Hopefully this was an interesting read as I've enjoyed reading about the projects others have taken on and posted about here.

119806.jpg

119807.jpg

119808.jpg

119809.jpg

119810.jpg

119811.jpg

119812.jpg

L

lenny

looks like a very well planned out project. appears to be well built and should last a good long time. Thanks for the thread, it's inspiring

slimcake

Ya nice work. I would say the trailer is worth lots more than the sled though!! Nice job man, wish I had your ambition. (nash you there again??)

frnash

<font color="0000ff">slimcake: "nash you there again?"</font>
Yep I'm here, but you don't need any help here!

ezra,
Since this was for "fun" I didn't log the hours. Rather I spread it out over months so I didn't get too far into the doghouse at any given time! I'd guesstimate around 60 hours to build. As I often do I make myself a complete set of scale drawings beforehand so that cutting and building goes smoothly. The only crunchtime I had was when the rafters were built and put all the framework together. I kept at it a couple days to get the fiberglass shell on so I could wheel it out of the garage back into the weather without worry.

The trailer pulled real nice with good visibility around it. I could hardly feel the trailer and with it only 1-2 feet taller than my topper not much wind drag. I loaded it with decking materials on the leg before I picked up the snowmobile so I never pulled it empty. The tongue was a little higher than the rear but I'd mounted skid blocks under the rear corners to protect the fiberglass on step curbs etc. I don't plan to pull it more than a couple hours per year so I gave preference to features that would balance it for moving by hand though it does both well.

booondocker

Rounder....I love ingenuity of the home-made kind. Sorta have those same failings myself...only in that by the time I get done with some "things" I would have been better off doing what I do better, and jist buying something already done. Ah, but part of the fun is doing it myself and knowin what you have...isn't it?

I love the folding corners to solve the loading issues with the sled...ingenius.

I am only concerned with the lack of venting...which this will need in both summer and winter. When the machine is hot it will melt the snow and then the snow collects on the walls and frosts later to drip down again...keeping the interior wet. (Don't ask how I know this....) My answer was to install solar fans which of course when the sun shines enable a fan to circulate the heat out in the summer and moisture in the winter (when the solar panel is not covered with snow, don't yeah know....

Otherwise, be proud....yah dun good.

Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah, I hear you about the venting. I even purchased some round aluminum vents for it that have not been installed. I plan to see how it does this winter. The doors aren't as snug as they may look in the photos. There aren't any seals on them and plenty of daylight comes in through the gaps. The roof eve keeps the rain out of the gaps. Where the sidewall and door meet there is aluminum angle trim to protect the opening. I'm hoping for enough air flow to pass through and dry things out. If not I'll be putting those vents into the end doors. I also plan to place openable holes in the floor directly under the exhaust to keep from getting smoked out on start up. With the right screening these could help air flow too. I don't plan on moving the trailer when there is snow, slush and salt on the roads.

It's always worth considering whether something is worth building or "buying it done". The older I get the more I opt for the latter. In this case I was able to put together exactly what I needed for around $500. Along with the Indy ($1000) I'm pretty well set up for my needs (a 40 mile trip into camp) for $1500.

Hey all, I knew I had a couple in-progress pics I wanted to include and show how it went together but I only recently found them on a spare memory card. These show the arch based rafters getting attached to the vertical wall braces. They also show the how the rafter ends tie into the 2x4 facia board between the wall and the roof. This was done before I designed and built the end ramp/doors. The plywood at the ends of the trailer was temporary to hold it all square while I assembled the walls and roof.

The trailer is nice and sturdy yet relatively light thanks to the use of 2x2s wherever possible. The ends that form the eve are cedar, accounting for the difference in color before painting. The facia board and baseboards are green treated 10 footers.

120870.jpg

120871.jpg

120872.jpg