Mosquitos

hybrid

were getting missed by the rain in NW price as well
rain was close tonight but just got a few drops
skeeters are the worst ever
and ticks are bad this year also

goofy600

So we (Cisco chain) had really heavy rain at times Friday and by Saturday most mosquitoes are gone, weird but maybe the rain activated the bug spray I put down. Hopefully they stay gone.

pclark

Somebody told me that they are near the end of their hatch and it should only get better.

racerx

So we (Cisco chain) had really heavy rain at times Friday and by Saturday most mosquitoes are gone, weird but maybe the rain activated the bug spray I put down. Hopefully they stay gone.
Had the same rain down the street here in Lando and still can't go from the garage to the house without getting mobbed by these buggers no matter what time of day. So much so while out today the wife wanted to get the yard spray that you use a hose (Cutter Backyard), which I think will not work but she believes it will since it is advertised to last 12 weeks.

pclark

Had the same rain down the street here in Lando and still can't go from the garage to the house without getting mobbed by these buggers no matter what time of day. So much so while out today the wife wanted to get the yard spray that you use a hose (Cutter Backyard), which I think will not work but she believes it will since it is advertised to last 12 weeks.
I have used Cutter Backyard spray with good results over the years. I think the key is to spray as much as you can out from your house (75-100ft) and do it once a month. Remember that if it rains you will have to respray. You can actually spray sidewalks, driveways, patios, decks I even spray the sides of my house).

goofy600

Racerx if the backyard cutter doesn’t seem to help try what I and rhp130 a product with BIFEN in it that stuff works and doesn’t wash off yes may have to spray a few times a year but we’ll worth it.

mezz

Racerx if the backyard cutter doesn’t seem to help try what I and rhp130 a product with BIFEN in it that stuff works and doesn’t wash off yes may have to spray a few times a year but we’ll worth it.
We have had a whopping .05 inches, yep, thats right, five hundreths of an inch & the damn mosquitos & sand flies are un freaking real. MOSQUITO WARNING.JPG I finally caved in & cut the grass on Saturday, I can't say that I can recall it being so dry in my 34 years of living in my home. I looked like pig pen when I was done, had to rinse off with the hose before going in to shower. We need rain REAL BAD. Fire Danger is Extreme & has been for the past 2 plus weeks. Any body know a rain dance?!?

Last edited:

pclark

We have had a whopping .05 inches, yep, thats right, five hundreths of an inch & the damn mosquitos & sand flies are un freaking real. View attachment 68648 I finally caved in & cut the grass on Saturday, I can't say that I can recall it being so dry in my 34 years of living in my home. I looking like pig pen when I was done, had to rinse off with the hose before going in to shower. We need rain REAL BAD. Fire Danger is Extreme & has been for the past 2 plus weeks. Any body know a rain dance?!?
Doesn't look like any precipitation in the near future for the Northwoods.

racerx

I have used Cutter Backyard spray with good results over the years. I think the key is to spray as much as you can out from your house (75-100ft) and do it once a month. Remember that if it rains you will have to respray. You can actually spray sidewalks, driveways, patios, decks I even spray the sides of my house).
Thanx for the info, never thought of spraying the concrete nor the house, which will be perfect as we really only need to focus on one side of the house that we have a large pad on. So I will give it a whirl and if results are poor will look into what goofy600 suggested.

dfattack

Still in NE Wisc and in the shade is almost to the point where you can't get any work done. Have to keep moving or you will be eaten alive. I always thought WET weather brought more activity not dry weather. This is a new one for me.

swampcat

While on the subject of northwoods bugs. What are the little green worms hanging from a thread EVERYWHERE from the trees ?

wisco-mb

Sorry, I feel for you guys!
At my house in Columbia county, there has been no absolutely no mosquitos. I have not seen one! My yard is as crisp as it gets. We got a little rain yesterday, but rain has been non-existent for almost a month.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here, not one skeeter so far in our corner of Wisconsin and the following might explain that...​

The National Weather Service in Green Bay released rainfall reports for the past month since May 8. The totals were as of 6:24 a.m. on June 7.
  • 0.09″ – Sturgeon Bay
  • 0.11″ – Green Bay
  • 0.12″ – Denmark
  • 0.13″ – Manitowoc
  • 0.14″ – Two Rivers
  • 0.15″ – Forestville
  • 0.16″ – Shawano
  • 0.26″ – Marinette
  • 0.27″ – Peshtigo
  • 0.29″ – Washington Island
  • 0.30″ – New London
  • 0.38″ – Suring
  • 0.40″ – Shiocton
  • 0.42″ – Crivitz High Falls
  • 0.44″ – Summit Lake
  • 0.46″ – Brillion
  • 0.47″ – Clintonville
  • 0.54″ – Appleton / Chilton

dfattack

While on the subject of northwoods bugs. What are the little green worms hanging from a thread EVERYWHERE from the trees ?
I have a ton of these too. No clue what they are. I call them inch worms but not sure it’s that’s accurate. I can park a truck on driveway and within minutes there are a dozen of the weblike inchworm things all over it. Crazy

Northstar

Is it this little fellow? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_tent_caterpillar_moth They come in cycles like the Cicadas. I recall them coming through the the PI area about a decade ago and they just desimated the Poplars canopy. Reminded me of fall in the middle of summer with all 1/2 eaten leaves falling from the trees. Then you have the ugly fuzzy cocoons all over the eaves and the siding. The trees recovered but a lot of cocoons remained.

dfattack

Is it this little fellow? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_tent_caterpillar_moth They come in cycles like the Cicadas. I recall them coming through the the PI area about a decade ago and they just desimated the Poplars canopy. Reminded me of fall in the middle of summer with all 1/2 eaten leaves falling from the trees. Then you have the ugly fuzzy cocoons all over the eaves and the siding. The trees recovered but a lot of cocoons remained.
No, they are bright green. No other colors such as the one shown in the photo of that link

snomoman

June 10th and still not one single mosquito down here that I have come across in my travels, although the back yard looks like a dried up desert with dead looking brown grass