Mountain Biking? Any good trails and places to go?

frosty

I know, I know, the whole UP, right?! Its easy on a sled or atv when your flying at 50 or so mph's and go 50-100 miles a day or afternoon. On a mountain bike, not so much, maybe 20 for me if its level or down hill the entire time. Just want to find a nice 10-15 mile loop that won't kill ya, or better yet, some killer single tracks. If you have to ask what a single track is, then......................moving along. Any ideas would be appreciated.

cooksend

Here is the info you need Frosty! http://upmtb.com/

I have some of these on my have to list. The Copper Harbor Trails look amazing. I was thinking that I will start by trying Swedetown first and go from there! If you get in the Minoqua area head over and check out the Raven trails! Loads of fun and well maintained!

Everyone says Copper Harbor is killer.
I just got back from the eastern half. Probably not as scenic as the western, but still had a good variety of riding (coming from Indiana). http://lescheneaux.org/pdfs/LCBikeTrails.pdf I'd be sure to take a hydration pack, compass, and a ridding partner. I average 12mph on most of the single tracks in Northern IN, up there I was taking my time and barely did 7. I started to post a few pictures, but failed to complete the task. Most of the MTB trails are really just single track ORV trails, with some dirt roads and two-tracks mixed in.
ps, watch out for wolves.

Last edited:

blizzardmk

I know Adventure Mine has some trails, not sure if you have to pay to use them.

http://www.adventureminetours.com/

The mountain bike trails at the Adventure Mine are free. They are lots of fun if you're an experienced mountain biker as they are quite technical with lots of steep ups and downs.

Michigan Tech trails, Churning Rapids, Swedetown, and Copper Harbor are all great mountain bike trails in the Keweenaw. All of them have many miles of singletrack, most of it built for mountain biking. Go here for maps: http://keweenawtrails.com/trails-maps/

Frosty - Let me know if you want more specific recommendations, or if you want a tour guide in the Houghton area. I live right on the Churning Rapids trails, and the singletrack starts at the end of my driveway :)

Last edited:

catalac

Wow! Those are killer looking trails!
I really have to get myself back into riding shape, so I can take advantage of nice trails like that.
Gosh dang! What doesn't the UP have? I wonna move in with John. I'll even help build the addition, John!

"they get after it up here in the U.P." .....patent pending

best explanation of the u.p. in every circumstance to date.

Last edited:

frosty

This really showcases the quality of riding in Copper Harbor. Absolutely world class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9btRzqsvA

That video of Copper Harbor rocked!!! Even after a 14 hour day at work, I want to jump in the car and head north!!! Those single tracks are just as good as the stuff out west, maybe not as much elevation, but technical like out west or in BC.

Now do they have more than just the downhill? I love downhill as much as the next stump jumper, but I also want to be able to ride from town to town without dying!

I need to stop working so much and get back on the bike!!!!!!!!

frosty

The mountain bike trails at the Adventure Mine are free. They are lots of fun if you're an experienced mountain biker as they are quite technical with lots of steep ups and downs.

Michigan Tech trails, Churning Rapids, Swedetown, and Copper Harbor are all great mountain bike trails in the Keweenaw. All of them have many miles of singletrack, most of it built for mountain biking. Go here for maps: http://keweenawtrails.com/trails-maps/

Frosty - Let me know if you want more specific recommendations, or if you want a tour guide in the Houghton area. I live right on the Churning Rapids trails, and the singletrack starts at the end of my driveway :)

I might have to take you up on that offer, maybe at the end of August, plan a 2 day'er! I just have to get to use to being in the saddle again for long periods of time. Nothing like having monkey butt after the first couple hours!

blizzardmk

I might have to take you up on that offer, maybe at the end of August, plan a 2 day'er! I just have to get to use to being in the saddle again for long periods of time. Nothing like having monkey butt after the first couple hours!

Sounds good! Let me know what dates you're thinking. As far as being use to the saddle, all of the trail systems up here are fairly compact. You can ride 5 miles and have a good time, 20 to 30 miles if you ride every trail at one of the systems, or 100 miles if you connect them all together!

frosty

Sounds good! Let me know what dates you're thinking. As far as being use to the saddle, all of the trail systems up here are fairly compact. You can ride 5 miles and have a good time, 20 to 30 miles if you ride every trail at one of the systems, or 100 miles if you connect them all together!

Talked with one of my riding buddies, he seem pretty interested in coming to. Thinking a Friday and Saturday ride like 8-30-12 weekend or the following in weekend in September. Let me know what would work best and we'll trying hard scheduling it.

tilltheend

Hey Blizzard i just started riding up there last year, what would you say is the best way to ride the Hinto/Rapids? In terms of I'd rather climb first then downhill toward the truck. I was on the tech trails tuesday, went from Nara on walkabout around Outerlimits up and down on inner peace ect and came back on hillside to the pilgrim river.... Seemed way more fun then having to finish on a climb and Hillside out over the knob is big fun.

So for Frosty you cant go wrong either way in the UP:
Swedetown - very cool, fast and flowing

Adventure Mine- There should be a sign with a bunch of black diamonds or as the guy there put it.. "first time here? use your flats" its 6 miles total that rides like 12 but theres no charge and its an experience!

Tech/Nara is a blast to ride, like a bike park you cant get lost and they pretty much have it all smooth, fast, rocks, roots, skinny's, sidehills, banked corners, just the downs are shorter.

Copper Harbor- Just do it and let me know when you guys are going I'm in, usually ride alone when Im up at camp so the Harbor seems like too far to run solo.

frosty

I'm toying with the idea of the weekend after labor day. I've been putting in some serious saddle time to build the stamina back up, but its hard when most of what I ride is pretty flat. I will be coming up on the 6th and ride the 7th and 8th. PM me if these dates work for ya tilltheend and blizzardmk. Also looking for others who want to ride. More the Merry!!!:)

blizzardmk

tilltheend - I would recommend riding from the Churning Rapids trailhead at the top of Christenson Road. Take M203 from Hancock about 6 miles towards Mclain park. Trails you should ride: Pow Pow, Great Oaks, Finney Creek, Aunt Flo, Brooks Gorge. There are trail maps at intersections, so you should be able to find your way around. The Maasto Hihto trails are not marked, and most of the fun stuff is on the Churning Rapids side.

Frosty - I'll be around that weekend. I might be able to sneak out of work for a ride on Friday, or Saturday would work.

Last edited:

frosty

Cool beans, I'll drop ya a PM for sure. I have to double check the daughters football schedule, she's a dancer for the HS, can't miss any home games she's performing in. The unoffical photog for the dance team and momma would have my head on a stick if I miss any!

frosty

Forgot to ask, do you have to pay to ride any of the trails or pay to park? My license plate is a dead give away for not being a local.

blizzardmk

They sell trail maps in Copper Harbor (recommended, but not necessary). Trail use is free in Copper Harbor. There is a trail use fee at the Michigan Tech trails. Churning Rapids is free. Parking is free everywhere.

tilltheend

Blizzard thanks for the tip, I'll try that out next time I'm up, last time I rode from the fairgrounds with a couple of guys that just happen to be there it wasnt well marked up that way. But we did make it to flow and it was a blast! I'll be up in Canada on a hunt/fish trip the next couple weeks, but I'll be up for a sept ride at the harbor if anyone is up for it.