MTV is 30 today!!

snowdancer

Do ya remember when MTV started? Gosh 30 years ago today. AND it was commercial free!! Must be the Weather Channel is 30 also. ahhhhhhh, those commercial free days, weren't they wonderful?

Dave_B

MTV may be 30, but MTV isn't MTV anymore!

When is the last time you saw a Missing Persons or Poison video on MTV?

snocrazy

MTV Died over 10 years ago in my eyes. Do they even play music videos any more? All the reality tv pollution has taken over.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
About the only things MTV is good for these days is Nitro Circus and an occasional Rob Dyrdek Fantasy Factory episode in my opinion.

I agree all the "reality" TV programming is junk, but I think it may be a sign we are getting old. I suspect MTV is doing quite well with ratings, just a younger crowd than all us old geezers.

-John

xcr440

Nina Blackwood
Mark Goodman
Martha Quinn
(And two I had to look up, I'll leave nameless for now)

More Trivia:

What was the longest running #1 requested Video of all time? (And probably forever at this point).

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
J J was another (I promised myself I wouldn't Google this)

Another bit of trivia...Nina posed for Playboy in August of 1978 prior to her MTV job.

Last edited:

Firecatguy

I remember the first day like yesterday!!! My older brothers best friends,Dad had cable and we went there to watch the debut......anyone remember the first video???

Firecatguy

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AVG4pE26Fr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Firecatguy

untitled-1.jpg

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You kids quit laughing, so help me, I'll get out my Red Leather Jacket and open a can of Whoop on ya I've been saving since 1981!!

skiroule

I listen to the Sirius/XM 80's station at least part of every commute. As many of you may know, four of the five original VJs - Mark Goodman, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, and Allen Hunter (J.J. Jackson has passed away) are all DJs on this station.

The station ran a MTV 30th anniversary special today. Pretty interesting to hear some of the interviews, including the interview with one of the members of The Buggles, who did the first video played.

Still having trouble recognizing that 1981 was 30 years ago.

Firecatguy

I listen to the Sirius/XM 80's station at least part of every commute. As many of you may know, four of the five original VJs - Mark Goodman, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, and Allen Hunter (J.J. Jackson has passed away) are all DJs on this station.

The station ran a MTV 30th anniversary special today. Pretty interesting to hear some of the interviews, including the interview with one of the members of The Buggles, who did the first video played.

Still having trouble recognizing that 1981 was 30 years ago.

I hear ya on t 1981.....did you grow up in Cottage Grove???I did....