MTV is 30 today!!

skiroule

I hear ya on t 1981.....did you grow up in Cottage Grove???I did....

I didn't grow up in "The Grove" but after 32 years, I certainly call it home. Both of our kids are Park grads. The far Southeast Metro: Best kept secret in the Twin Cities.

I was past the prime MTV target age when it was launched but having kids that went through high school in it's early years, it was dialed in pretty much every minute they were home.

Last edited:

Firecatguy

I didn't grow up in "The Grove" but after 32 years, I certainly call it home. Both of our kids are Park grads. The far Southeast Metro: Best kept secret in the Twin Cities.

I was past the prime MTV target age when it was launched but having kids that went through high school in it's early years, it was dialed in pretty much every minute they were home.

hahah I ask ya that already once....short term memory

My Dad did not condone rap music so MTV was shut off more than once as I grew up!!!!1

snocrazy

I remember the first day like yesterday!!! My older brothers best friends,Dad had cable and we went there to watch the debut......anyone remember the first video???

I was living with my parents in Venice Florida. The cable company down there replaced wgn with MTV. My step Dad being a cubs fan really was pissed off.

Thats what I remember about the beginning of MTV.
After a Month they did give wgn back on another channel.
I am sure they saw some serious complaints from the old timers down there.

Admin - Those are 2 decent shows. Nitro being much better than the Rob.

skiroule

hahah I ask ya that already once....short term memory

Yours or mine :)

My son was a huge rap fan - NWA, Beastie Boys, House of Pain, the list goes on (although this might have been more towards the late 80's - early 90's). If you remember, this was about the time Ice T and Ice Cube got their breaks. Both have gone on to respectable TV and movie careers (not to forget Marky Mark, who has done real well). I guess they went "establishment".

mezz

Nina Blackwood
Mark Goodman
Martha Quinn
(And two I had to look up, I'll leave nameless for now)

More Trivia:

What was the longest running #1 requested Video of all time? (And probably forever at this point).

I'll take a stab at it, Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? -Mezz
One of my fav's was Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher"

Last edited:

snocrazy

Nina Blackwood
Mark Goodman
Martha Quinn
(And two I had to look up, I'll leave nameless for now)

More Trivia:

What was the longest running #1 requested Video of all time? (And probably forever at this point).

The top ten video countdown before it became the top 10 "new" video countdown?

Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home - It was the resone they changed it to new.

thunderstruck88

I WANT MY OLD MTV AND I WANT IT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!! RAP = CRAP HIP HOP = Music SLOP I Just want my ROCK AND ROLL and Bob Segar to ease my achy soul God I miss the OLD MTV !!!!!!!!!!!!!

snocrazy

That video now reminds me of the ending of the movie Hot Tub Time Machine - Motley Lue lol

I feel old now. I actually knew that!