Munising Trails reports...anyone just leaving ?

catspaz8

Has anyone been to Munising this last week and how were the trails? I heard they have barely been grooming for lack of snow/ Can you go south Past The Buckhorn to Big Spring? Is the best riding heading east to Grand Marais? Let me know please..Thanks in advance.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

We just got back from there last Thursday and there is plenty of good riding to be had. They are still grooming according to the Alger Sorva FB page. The wife and i there for a week and put on 1770 miles and the grooming this club is doing since they took over is outstanding! We went south on the Haywire grade and it got real thin past the trail that goes past the Jack Pine we turned around and took the trail past the JP and went up to the Buckhorn. It was passable,but thin in spots.

J.Glenn

I can echo what EF says, I was up there 1/22/21-1/26/21 and I don't think they've received much snow since then. We took the exact route he took (Haywire Trail/41 to 413 to 7). Once you hit 413 it's pretty bad. It is passable as he says but it's not great. I'd say that it doesn't get good again until you hit the 7/411 intersection and head north (somewhere around that area).

We also made runs to Grand Marais and Seney. These were the better options simply due to more snow. I will say that trail 8, from the turn off to the Melstrand Store to the turn off to go north to Grand Marais was really choppy and rough. Everything else past that was great.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

I can echo what EF says, I was up there 1/22/21-1/26/21 and I don't think they've received much snow since then. We took the exact route he took (Haywire Trail/41 to 413 to 7). Once you hit 413 it's pretty bad. It is passable as he says but it's not great. I'd say that it doesn't get good again until you hit the 7/411 intersection and head north (somewhere around that area).

We also made runs to Grand Marais and Seney. These were the better options simply due to more snow. I will say that trail 8, from the turn off to the Melstrand Store to the turn off to go north to Grand Marais was really choppy and rough. Everything else past that was great.

Haven't been impressed with the job the GM groomers are doing. We rode through there several times last week and they were rough. We saw a groomer only taking the top 3" off the foot high moguls and the drag was bucking like the Edmund Fitzgerald. On top of that their practice of winging ALL the snow from the outside of every corner to the inside leaving a 3 foot tall windrow on the inside of every corner making the inside of every corner almost impassable for MILES until the groomer made his turn and came back after DARK ! We almost got hit head-on by a group coming around the corner on the wrong side of the trail because they couldn't navigate the large windrow. I understand trying to put the snow on the inside,but this practice is DANGEROUS the way they do it..

J.Glenn

Haven't been impressed with the job the GM groomers are doing. We rode through there several times last week and they were rough. We saw a groomer only taking the top 3" off the foot high moguls and the drag was bucking like the Edmund Fitzgerald. On top of that their practice of winging ALL the snow from the outside of every corner to the inside leaving a 3 foot tall windrow on the inside of every corner making the inside of every corner almost impassable for MILES until the groomer made his turn and came back after DARK ! We almost got hit head-on by a group coming around the corner on the wrong side of the trail because they couldn't navigate the large windrow. I understand trying to put the snow on the inside,but this practice is DANGEROUS the way they do it..

Come to think of it, we didn't hardly see a groomer at all maybe once. We also didn't experience what you did with the corners. I don't think they did much grooming while we were there until say around Tuesday 1/26/21 when they had that 4" or so fall. Hopefully they get those issues worked out!

UPBob

Trails in Munising have been great with the low amount of snow they have to work with

On my way up tomorrow.
Rode there a few days ago. Munising has more to offer than Grand Marais, more food and lodging options and much cheaper gas prices!

kirk600

Leaving in the morning. Rode from Christmas this morning to Grand Marais on 8, took 88 back to shingleton. Was pretty thin and snirty but as of 8:30 we have 4" new snow.

- - - Updated - - -

We talked to a few at our food stop and they said off trail was out of the question unless you know the area really well.

catspaz8

We based out of Chatham this weekend ( 32 miles north and west of the Buckhorn). We went Friday afternoon for a short ride heading to the Buckhorn, and south on 7 to the 411 cutoff and turned around, rode some forest highways and headed back aftera quick 100 miles. Saturday the guys did a vintage ride while my buddy and I headed east from Chathan on 8 to 7 thru Christmas and thru Munisingvia 419 and back to 8 east, to 41. chased groomers the whole way, trails were perfect as we were either the first sleds down the trail behind the groomer and in the top 5... took 41 all the way south to 413 to 7 south to Big spring. They got 27 " of snow near Manstique last week, conditioned were great except the last couple of miles into big Spring. then went east on 2 back up to 41 and south again on 413 to 7 south and then west on 2. worked our way back to th NAhma grade and headed north bock past the Buckhorn and back to Chatham. Hit maybe three bumps in 225 miles. Sunday we went west towards Marquette following 8 west towards the crossroads and then heading up MArqutte Mountain and back along the Superior shore towards 417 Thin in spots as usual and hit up Lakenenland for a short tour and warm up by the fire. east again now on 418 back to Chatham ( 175 miles ), Monday we took a quick rip east on 8, south on 7 south on 411 to 2 east and back to 7 north back to 8 and back to base, Quick 125 miles before we hit the road home. trail were 8-10 the whole trip wirth the only rough section we hit from the spurs on 7 to Camelriders. Even some of the forest roads we hits were flat as there prabably wasn't enough snow/traffic for them to be rough. So maybe three days riding ( two half days) and 625 miles , not a sore part of me. Great Ride.