My Michigan UP Trip

Joe User

Next week my wife and I are making our first trip to ride the UP together. We have lodging arrangements along lake Superior a the LaRose wellness retreat, off highway 41, between Baraga and Houghton, I see trail #15 is within a few miles of where we are staying. I contacted the proprietor of this establishment as to access to the trail, she recommended trailering and unloading closer to the trail. I have looked at the DNR maps and they show a parking symbol in the map legend, but none are shown on the map.
How practical is ditch riding in this area, to get to the trail? Is it even legal? I was in Houghton on the 10th of January, and from what I saw, nobody rides ditches. Of course the snow banks were as high as the top of the truck!
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

mezz

Don't recommend ditch riding here. Some county roads here allow the use of the shoulder, but not all. Best to trailer to trail head or as close to it as you can. Ask parking lot owners if it is permissible to park before hand. Personally, I would stay &/or drive further North, conditions & access much better.-Mezz

packerlandrider

I would agree, plus who knows what condition Trail 15 sometimes can be in. The Baraga County groomer report indicates they were able finally able to get through Trail 15 all the way to Chassell, but there are still wet spots. Might be best to just avoid Trail 15 altogether and trailer and unload in either Houghton or Baraga depending where you want to ride.

Joe User

Lodging is scarce, we booked months ago to attend winter carnival at MTU, we didn't even consider trailering our machines until last week. But since there is NO SNOW in Minnesota, and gas prices are low, we should take advantage.
I read the trail report as well, I think since we will be in Houghton, that is where we will start.
Thanks for the responses!