my scratch n dent snow plow does not have skids

kb97z

Can a guy get by without the 2 adjustable skids that are missing on my 5' county plow? It does have a wear bar.
Also I have used atv's w plows before and have not had much luck ...tires spin...get stuck etc
would chains on tires help my Honda 400 w 4 wd

thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Winterrules

If you are plowing on paved smooth non snag driveway surface you might get away with out them, and be willing to replace the wearing edge from time to time. Sometimes the bottom edge of the blade wants to catch on everything, and flop over forward with out them on. I use the skids on my Cycle Country plow for my gravel driveway. Chains can make a world of difference in the amount of snow you can push. They can also leave marks on asphalt drives and even cement if you due a lot of spinning.

kb97z

If you are plowing on paved smooth non snag driveway surface you might get away with out them, and be willing to replace the wearing edge from time to time. Sometimes the bottom edge of the blade wants to catch on everything, and flop over forward with out them on. I use the skids on my Cycle Country plow for my gravel driveway. Chains can make a world of difference in the amount of snow you can push. They can also leave marks on asphalt drives and even cement if you due a lot of spinning.

Very good info...thanks

I'll see if the store (where my father in law bought it) still has the skids lying around
and look into getting chains...driveway already scratched up from sled studs and need a excuse to replace black top w cement

jr37

I plow with a Honda 400. I do have plow skids on mine. I also have chains. I run regular chains on the front and V-bar chains on the back. I also have a 135 pound weight that I strap to the rear rack. I can plow alot of snow this way.

kb97z

I plow with a Honda 400. I do have plow skids on mine. I also have chains. I run regular chains on the front and V-bar chains on the back. I also have a 135 pound weight that I strap to the rear rack. I can plow alot of snow this way.

awesome, bring on the deep stuff...I ordered chains from tirechainsrequired.com 180 bucks for 4 v notch chains w 2 inch spacing shipped to my door

jr37

awesome, bring on the deep stuff...I ordered chains from tirechainsrequired.com 180 bucks for 4 v notch chains w 2 inch spacing shipped to my door

Make sure you get them really tight, so they don't catch on the brake cables.

dafalls

Quad.jpg [ATTACH

I have a similar setup only mine is a Foreman with ATP mudlite tires. I used it to plow our 3/4 mile road to our cabin in the U.P. for 2 years. It is now retired to plowing my asphalt driveway in Alpena. With these tires I never had a problem or ever thought about needing chains.

kb97z

wrong chains shipped

Make sure you get them really tight, so they don't catch on the brake cables.

They sent me 4 link chains and I ordered 2 link (double the cross chains)

Think 4 link will do or do I make them suck it up and pay to ship em back and forth

jr37

They sent me 4 link chains and I ordered 2 link (double the cross chains)

Think 4 link will do or do I make them suck it up and pay to ship em back and forth

They will probably be fine, but don't just settle. If you want 2 link chains, then make them ship you the right ones, but don't you pay the shipping for their mistake.

kb97z

I bought a set of skids at Minards, mower sec.

bargain barn is getting us the missing skids, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

They will probably be fine, but don't just settle. If you want 2 link chains, then make them ship you the right ones, but don't you pay the shipping for their mistake.

yeah they owe me around 50...if 4 link will work I will keep em, thanks

kb97z

they settled up good

tire chains required is shipping out today the correct chains....sending me a paid return mailing label..... :)

millertime

I had a concrete driveway and never used skids....ware bar took a bit of a beating but did a better job of getting the snow removed down to the surface. Skids always left a thin layer that turned to ice, requiring me to chip it off.

polaris4me

I have skids on my plow, but I have a gravel driveway. I put my skids all the way down so it leaves a good inch and a half of snow on the drive. Do that for the first few plows, then put the skids up. Gives a nice base so I did not push all the gravel on the lawn. And I can run the sleds on the driveway too. Have never tried chains. I do put 100lbs on the back of my Polaris 300 explore.

millertime

I have skids on my plow, but I have a gravel driveway. I put my skids all the way down so it leaves a good inch and a half of snow on the drive. Do that for the first few plows, then put the skids up. Gives a nice base so I did not push all the gravel on the lawn. And I can run the sleds on the driveway too. Have never tried chains. I do put 100lbs on the back of my Polaris 300 explore.

What do you use for weight?

jr37

DSC02512.jpg DSC02513.jpg

This is mine all set up for winter. It is a snow plowing machine. It always amazes me how much it will push. Only have trouble towards spring when we get a heavy wet snow.

The first couple times I plowed this year, I tried it without the chains on. Never again. It can do so much more with the chains on.

zltim

I plow with a Honda 300trx 2 wheel drive. I use chains and one or 2 sand tubes from Menards or Farm n Fleet. I use the skids because I Have a gravel drive way.