Need help determining value for a 1971 arctic cat

misfitinaction

I have a 1971 arctic 440 with the Kawasaki engine. Sled runs but will need new fuel lines and a pickup. Wondering what the approximate value is for this sled? Thanks

ezra

not a lot few hundred . some times they are worth more to just keep covered behind the shop and yank out for a vintage ride from time to time .
the seat cover alone is worth more than the sled. thing with vintage is unless it is a rare sled or x race sled with verification it is always best to buy one some one already dropped 3/4 more to restore it than they are selling it for.
unless U are really wanting a project and then u still attempt to look for old race sled or the sled u loved as a kid and dont mind the time and $ u will never see again

renegade600

If your Panther looks like mine its worth alot more than $ 200.00... :)

1970 793 Hirth & 1971 634 Hirth

cat2.jpg
1823_1066361303474_2833_n.jpg

Last edited:

renegade600

The AC With the Hirth engine is more valuble, is what I see too. But his is a 440 kawasaki, not as sought after I don't think

With the Kawasaki in a Cat in '71, you really need to take a close look if the engine is something special. Even the fan cooled engines in Puma's and Panthers were sometimes slipped in with performance mods. Back then small town racing was popular and just about every Joe was racing their sled on a weekend.

Kawasaki Fan cooled engines came in many forms in a Cat back then. Look at the engine number, and if it is a T1A440S1 with a hand stamped suffix "A" at the end the engine should show some port work having been done. Another to look for is the T7A440Z4 engine which is a 440 Fan cooled "Z" engine. Again, this had port work etc. and was usually found in the '71 Puma Z but could have found its way to a Panther. I have both versions of these engines, one i found mounted in a Panther and the other in a Lynx.

To the original poster, you want to make sure that the chassis is a standard chassis, or if it is a Jackshaft Chassis. It would not be the first time a Hirth or JLO 760 was blown and replaced with a Kawasaki....JS Chassis are more desirable. I have several of the Jackshaft Panthers and Pumas, and most all of them had their original motor missing and a Kawi or something else transplanted....

:)

Last edited:

sweeperguy

With the Kawasaki in a Cat in '71, you really need to take a close look if the engine is something special. Even the fan cooled engines in Puma's and Panthers were sometimes slipped in with performance mods. Back then small town racing was popular and just about every Joe was racing their sled on a weekend.

Kawasaki Fan cooled engines came in many forms in a Cat back then. Look at the engine number, and if it is a T1A440S1 with a hand stamped suffix "A" at the end the engine should show some port work having been done. Another to look for is the T7A440Z4 engine which is a 440 Fan cooled "Z" engine. Again, this had port work etc. and was usually found in the '71 Puma Z but could have found its way to a Panther. I have both versions of these engines, one i found mounted in a Panther and the other in a Lynx.

To the original poster, you want to make sure that the chassis is a standard chassis, or if it is a Jackshaft Chassis. It would not be the first time a Hirth or JLO 760 was blown and replaced with a Kawasaki....JS Chassis are more desirable. I have several of the Jackshaft Panthers and Pumas, and most all of them had their original motor missing and a Kawi or something else transplanted....

:)

Thanks for all the great info, want to get into vintage sleds in the next few years. Been riding Polaris mostly last couple dozen years, but rode Arctic Cat back in the 70's, so that'd be my vintage choice. My dad had a 69 Panther with the 634 hirth, it had been set up to run in the I-500. I was a pretty small kid, so my ride was a 72 , 292 Lynx. Once I could start the Panther I could take it out, but it was grab on, and hold on. Didn't ride it a whole lot cuz if I'd have gotten stuck I could barely move it, unlike the lynx I could get out if stuck.
Sounds like your really into Cats, did you see the post about the auction first weekend of September with all the vintage Cats? The Siebens Estate auction in Sugar Camp Wi

Last edited:

renegade600

Thanks for all the great info, want to get into vintage sleds in the next few years. Been riding Polaris mostly last couple dozen years, but rode Arctic Cat back in the 70's, so that'd be my vintage choice. My dad had a 69 Panther with the 634 hirth, it had been set up to run in the I-500. I was a pretty small kid, so my ride was a 72 , 292 Lynx. Once I could start the Panther I could take it out, but it was grab on, and hold on. Didn't ride it a whole lot cuz if I'd have gotten stuck I could barely move it, unlike the lynx I could get out if stuck.
Sounds like your really into Cats, did you see the post about the auction first weekend of September with all the vintage Cats? The Siebens Estate auction in Sugar Camp Wi

I've been into Vintage sleds for quite a number of years (since the early '90s) and had quite a collection at one time (more than 50 sleds). Have been selling off quite a few over the years, along with alot of parts I had accumulated (got kind of burned out restoring, and got into cars).

Still have quite a number of sleds, of no particular make (just anything cool) many I've restored, or just super clean survivors; '70 793 Hirth Panther, '71 634 Panther, '71 634 Puma, '72 EXT Shorty Long Mod 340, a number of '70s El 'tigres, '71 Skiroule RTX racer, '71 Polaris TX Racer, '71 Polaris TX Charger 634 (actually (1) of (2) known), Various TX's and TXL's from the Mid '70s (one is a Factory "mule" for clutching tests). '71 Ski-doo TNT 775, '75 245 RV, '73-'74 Free Air TNT's, late '78 Blizzard, '76 RV, some Johnsons, ski-booses, etc....

Sold all of my Scorpions and Rupps this year, and plan to let some more go as soon as I steel myself... haha

misfitinaction

It's all original. It's my fathers sled and he's looking to sell it. I don't know much about the value of vintage sleds so I went to the next place place to ask. Thanks

ezra

I've been into Vintage sleds for quite a number of years (since the early '90s) and had quite a collection at one time (more than 50 sleds). Have been selling off quite a few over the years, along with alot of parts I had accumulated (got kind of burned out restoring, and got into cars).

Still have quite a number of sleds, of no particular make (just anything cool) many I've restored, or just super clean survivors; '70 793 Hirth Panther, '71 634 Panther, '71 634 Puma, '72 EXT Shorty Long Mod 340, a number of '70s El 'tigres, '71 Skiroule RTX racer, '71 Polaris TX Racer, '71 Polaris TX Charger 634 (actually (1) of (2) known), Various TX's and TXL's from the Mid '70s (one is a Factory "mule" for clutching tests). '71 Ski-doo TNT 775, '75 245 RV, '73-'74 Free Air TNT's, late '78 Blizzard, '76 RV, some Johnsons, ski-booses, etc....

Sold all of my Scorpions and Rupps this year, and plan to let some more go as soon as I steel myself... haha
looks like u have a few real nice vacations in that line up when u sell