Need Help With Tree Choice

luke_duke

I'm planning on planting 2 or 3 trees in my front yard and was looking for some suggestions or tips on what kind of trees to get. I am looking for color(probably red and/or yellow) in the fall so I assume I will be getting some kind of a maple tree. I also do not want anything too tall. I live in Northwest Ohio and I appreciate any feedback.

scott_l

luke_duke..............don't want to hijack your thread

but question about Maples..............aren't they known to have roots that surface?

zimmbob

The soft maples tend to have roots that come to the surface more. The Autumn Blaze is a hard Maple, and although some roots will show, they are not like the silver maples which have roots that are crazy.

There are lots of good crabapple trees and other flowering trees that get color in the fall, nice flowers in the spring, and are not tall at all (20 feet). But they do make a mess with the fruit.

Some of the Ash and other types of trees have a pretty yellow in the fall. Maples are great, but don't only look at Maple trees. There are so many options, but good luck! Will make your yard look great!

booondocker

Ash should be off the list, and a maple will grow much higher unless you trim the heck out of it often.

I would go with a nice flowering crab, and let the birds have something to eat.

Of course since you aren't planting many, perhaps a nice trip to the nusery store will provide a nice bloomer with good fall color and not grow too big.

What ever you get, plan for it before you place it. They get to be placed once and way too often not enough thought goes into what it will look like in a bunch of years from now.

luke_duke

I was considering the autumn blaze maple. The website I was looking at also said the Japanese Red Maple was a nice looking tree as well that stays under 30 ft. Is there anything in a maple that makes bright yellow, I couldn't find anything on my limited search online.

I agree the crabapple is a very pretty tree but I have one that is being removed in front of my house. It drops apples and the kids carry it in the house. I was told that some nurseries have crabapple trees that doesn't produce the crabapple so I am going to look into that.

thunderstruck88

silver maple red maple flowering crab, flowering pear BUCKEYE ((sorry had to )))LOL red oak Japanesse Maple the only thing I find bad about maple trees are them darn hellicopters the seeds that fall off the trees in the spring good luck and hope you have a green thumb :)

powder_poacher

Autumn Blaze Maple is a soft maple. Cross between silver and red maple. Very fast growing. No disease or pest problems that are worth mentioning. Small tree with good fall color would be a serviceberry, lindens i.e. Greenspire are smaller than basswood and have yellow fall color. Good luck

yamahauler

I was told by a nursery, the thing to do about the helicopters is too fertilize them as soon as it stops freezing and that tricks the tree into a growth spurt which skips the helicopter breeding session. You may get a couple but not an all out kamikaze attack.

luke_duke

Thanks for the info, there is plenty there to help me at a nearby nursery. I saw on one website the japanese maple is best planted in the early spring. My next question is should I wait to purchase and have these trees planted in the spring instead of fall.

Last edited: