Need new helmet?? Recommendations????

mattyp

Need to get a new helmet and not sure where to start. Pretty much set on a modular, but open for suggestions. Don't mind spending some money as I am protecting my melon. Just trail ride in N IL and S WI. Do go to UP 2X per year. Have been using an old helmet for years and it is time to upgrade. If anyone has some recommendations or are happy with a particular brand/model, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I have combed through previous posts, which has helped. Any new opinions? Thanks again!!

joks79

Purchased a BV2S for my wife last year and she loves it. It if her first modular helmet. Purchased from this site. I would try some on before buying. After she rode with her new helmet I tried one on at a dealership. I didn't like the fit of it on me.

snow_monkey

I have purchased hjc in the past. They do not seem to be the top of the line pick but their higher end stuff is durable and I have had few problems. Parts have been very easy to get also.

muzik

Snowbuff said it best Bombardier Modular 2. This is the best modular helmet out there. you get used to the closed feeling with the breathmask. Try a few on at a dealer than check this site for one. You can also get a great deal on a Modular 2 on Ebay. Prices will be better in the Summer possibly lower than $200.00 if you are ok with Black.

mattyp

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Bombardier Modular 2. Anyone seen good deals on this helmet recently? Thanks again!

harski

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Bombardier Modular 2. Anyone seen good deals on this helmet recently? Thanks again!

I just upgraded from an HJC to a Modular 2. It's a really nice helmet and has great vision lines along with the breathing mask. The only thing I don't like is trying to close the face with the breathing mask. The fasteners don't stay fastened (the fasteners hold the mask tight to your face) on the mask and it tends to bind on the helmet face when trying to close. I'm getting used to it and I think I'm going to tie a knot in the "band" to keep it from coming undone. Maybe I just have fat cheeks......I better stay away from the Cheetos during the winter so I can fit in my darn helmet!! LOL!

Happy Hunting!

Harski

dfattack

Purchased a BV2S for my wife last year and she loves it. It if her first modular helmet. Purchased from this site. I would try some on before buying. After she rode with her new helmet I tried one on at a dealership. I didn't like the fit of it on me.

I have a BV2s also and love it. Only, I don't think it's a modular. i thought modular was where the lower half raised up. The BV2s's lower section is fixed and doesn't raise up. Maybe I'm confusing the term "modular"....

maddog24

Modular 2, Great helmet, no fogging, warm enough. Doesn't get too warm on warmer days, with removable mouth piece and vents.

mattyp

Anyone else have an opinion on the modular 2? Anyone aware of a good deal on it that is out there now? Thanks in advance.

slimcake

I own one and have put 9k miles on with it. Its a good helmet. Make sure you get the cloth piece that fits over the mouth piece and tucks down into your coat. It makes the helmet. My face does freak out some after a 800 mile week of wearing it but other than that its a great helmet. If you like off trail its hard to catch your breath compared to an open face but other than that its great.

UP RIDER

Snowbuff said it best Bombardier Modular 2. This is the best modular helmet out there. you get used to the closed feeling with the breathmask. Try a few on at a dealer than check this site for one. You can also get a great deal on a Modular 2 on Ebay. Prices will be better in the Summer possibly lower than $200.00 if you are ok with Black.

Got one to my door last Feb. for $180

meklke

I purchased one from www.deesmarine.com and was very happy with the price ($215.00) and delivery time (I just checked their site and do not see this price anymore). I owned the modular (1) purchased in 2004 and just replaced it with the modular 2. I researched this extensively, the modular 2 is the helmit for me and my wife. The filters in the air mask can be a little messy. I found that making the filter from an artificial shammy cloth a great upgrade.

mattyp

Thanks for all the input. Does the modular 2 run big as far as size goes? I wear a 7 1/4 in a fitted baseball hat and accorrding to the size chart I should get a M/L. Seems small? Thanks.

maddog24

They run VERY small. I bought a xxxl and I normally would just get an XL or 71/2 in most other brands. I would try a few on first!

slimcake

They run VERY small. I bought a xxxl and I normally would just get an XL or 71/2 in most other brands. I would try a few on first!

X2 I thought I had a good price but then had to pay to return ship twice to get the right size. Normally xl this helmet I needed a 3x......

jakester

I sold my sleds, but still have my modular helmets. One is a mod 1 the other a mod 2. Great helmets.One is yellow and black, the other is black. I'll talk to my better half and see if I can put them on the board. Best no fog helmets I ever had. Both are 2x. They do run small.

600etec

I have to be honest I wore a modular for years. Got my mod 1 when they first came out in 99. Still have it and it is in great shape. Probably have rode more than 20K miles with it. I changed to a Regular with an electric shield. That is the way to go for me. I got sick of the mask in my face and anytime you get winded(getting unstuck) you have to take it off.

whitedust

mattyp: you got to try BRP Mods on. I have 2 & fit me well but buddy put 1 on & frrrrrrrrrrrreaked he felt very enclosed just did not work for him at all. Now he is a big guy 6'6" but BRP Mod NOT for him. Surprised me as I felt BRP Mods were the way to go just shows 1 anything does not appeal to everyone.