Need recommendation on physician for annual health exam in Northwoods Area

jjj70095

I am retiring to Northwoods come May and am looking for a physician for annual physical exam and bloodwork. Does anybody have recommendations on an MD?
Minocqua and or Rhinelander area.

goofy600

I did the same and found a younger doctor Dr. Jeffery Jast in Minocqua. There were a few in the area. Found via google search and some reading, can say have only seen him twice once for physical and then a follow up. Hope this helps.

pclark

Finding a Doctor in the Northwoods is challenging. After moving up here in September of 2021 I made an appointment last October to see a Dr. Sami Ahmed (Phone 715-358-1708) from the Marshfield Clinic in Minocqua. He came recommended to me from my wife who works at the Clinic, the first open appointment they had was March 15, 2022!

Make your appointments now as it will take time to schedule them. I also have had a tough time getting a cardiologist appointment but I think I finally have that taken care of.

The healthcare Industry is in dire straights right now with shortages of people and doctors especially in the Northwoods. Good luck.

whitedust

Here’s the deal hospitals and medical centers forced young doctors out of the northwoods hired PA and NPs to replace them to reduce their overhead. There are established doctors but they don’t see new patients. Many doctors have retired in the Northwoods and haven’t been replaced. I suggest you travel to Wausau use established doctors and facilities there. If you need tests or any medical technology you would be well advised to go to Wausau anyway. Northwoods can stitch you up if injured anything serious is flight for life to Wausau. It’s frustrating but the way it is especially in Vilas County. If you are determined to see a doctor as I was in the Northwoods Iron River, MI has a nice hospital and medical center best for me for blood tests and check up. Cardiologist is a hard nut to crack again suggest Wausau.

bayfly

It is extremely difficult to attract and retain a physician workforce in any rural area. This is not new. Most often the patient volumes cannot support the costs of a physician in a rural market. And the payer mix in rural areas is heavily skewed to government insurance programs that reimburse at rates substantially lower than commercial insurance. It is true that rural hospitals and medical centers have had to hire PAs and NPs, but that is out of necessity, not preference. Unfortunately, traveling for healthcare is one of the drawbacks of rural living, and should be weighed against the many benefits.

whitedust

It is extremely difficult to attract and retain a physician workforce in any rural area. This is not new. Most often the patient volumes cannot support the costs of a physician in a rural market. And the payer mix in rural areas is heavily skewed to government insurance programs that reimburse at rates substantially lower than commercial insurance. It is true that rural hospitals and medical centers have had to hire PAs and NPs, but that is out of necessity, not preference. Unfortunately, traveling for healthcare is one of the drawbacks of rural living, and should be weighed against the many benefits.
Totally agree but cost of seeing PA and NP is the same as seeing a doctor. That was unacceptable for me.

bayfly

Generally about 70% of the "cost" for a hospital or health system to provide a typical office visit is related to the facility, supplies, technology, equipment, and support staff. That doesn't change no matter who treats the patient. The doctor, PA, or NP costs are about 30% of the total cost to provide this service. The direct cost or a PA or NP is about 50% of a physician, so you could expect that a patient would pay about 15% less (half of the 30% cost related to the provider) for a visit with a PA or NP. Most insurance companies as well as Medicare pay providers 15% less for a PA or NP visit if a physician is not directly involved. Generally, it does not matter how much the hospital or health system charges, since the payer will reduce that amount as part of the "allowable charge" for the service. In most cases, an insured patient's cost is less for a PA/NP visit without the patient even realizing it. If you do not have any insurance coverage, then I agree the cost to you is probably the same seeing a PA/NP as it is seeing a doctor. But if there are no doctors available, then the choice is to wait to be seen or travel to be seen by a doctor. In my experience, PAs/NPs take more time with the patient, are more available, and can treat 80% - 90% of primary care needs of most patients. As in other things, there are great and not-so-great doctors, PAs, and NPs. I have encountered some doctors that would cause me to gladly pay 15% more if I could be seen by a PA or NP.

srt20

Same with PA or NP. They dont want to go to these places either. Many (most?) get paid much more to work "up north" than Madison or Milwaukee.

whitedust

Good for you hope all works out, I like the fact that he is a younger doctor so hopefully he stays around area.
He stays around if independent but that’s improbable. If connected to a medical organization it’s all about the numbers out of his control.

goofy600

He stays around if independent but that’s improbable. If connected to a medical organization it’s all about the numbers out of his control.
True but what I can say and others that have moved up may agree there have been a lot of new people that have moved out of the big cities and have come up this way in last year and a half which should help keep them up north.

whitedust

True but what I can say and others that have moved up may agree there have been a lot of new people that have moved out of the big cities and have come up this way in last year and a half which should help keep them up north.
With Omicron in full break out they stay for now. Look to school enrollment for the population shifts. Last year was a huge increase enrollment in Eagle River. It was a good thing you did hooking up OP with your doctor 👍