need someone who has experience running electric and heat to trailers for assistance

raco_guy

just bought a new inline trailer (7X28 NEO). Considering (depending on cost) wanting to run external power (i.e. have additional power plugs inside, lighting, heat, etc.) via plug in from a power source (like shore power for a boat) or generator in addition to running off of my truck.

In addition want to insulate it and have some sort of heat source.
Seems like there are a lot of recommendations on ways to insulate and best heat source to use. Many recommend utilizing a RV heater, but many don't recommend propane because of the additonal moisture and safety issues.

So, if you have experience or recommendations of options to accomplish this in the most safe and economical way, I would appreciate any assistance. Since this will probably entail a conversation vs. long email reply, please feel free to contact my cell 989-430-2830. I would be open to recommendation of poeple who do this work if it get's too complicated as I am not an electrician by any means. Thank you.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!h0E4qmp+CVSBOUn0(wPd!~~48_3[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!h0E4qmp+CVSBOUn0(wPd!~~48_3[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 91

ill marty

What a nice trailer. I have a situation at my camp . I have a 40 ft long shipping container up at my camp in Ishpeming mi. We store our sleds in their . Some time when we go up the sleds are a frozen ice berg. From the motor to the tracks frozen to the floor. In two weeks im running power out to the container going to install a few plugs and install a few infared heaters. When i get to camp i can turn on the heaters and let it melt the sleds . Maybe you can do something similiar. Or install a couple heater units from a camper on the roof . Nice to thaw the sleds on your way home . I dont think it needs to be super warm just alittle above freezing . Man thats a nice trailer . What type of rig are you using to pull it.

raco_guy

come on, I find it hard to believe that nobody has ever tricked out their trailer with heat and electric from JD, everybody is a tinkerer on here! I figure insulating would be just cut styrofoam between the wall/ceiling studs with either 1/2 plywood or that white plastic, but I really want to consider heat and electric, but I don't have heating or electrical expertise in my background...

doomsman

Just fitting styro between framing will lead to sweating when you heat it.
It must be sealed with some non expanding foam.
For electric run conduit down one side with say 4 4inch square boxs.
Two gang rings and 2 outlets in each box, one outlet in each
box switched 3way front and rear. pick up some portable work lights
and plug into the switched outlets. you can then move the light to where ever you need it, even dry out your boots.
Get a good exterior 110 volt inlet plug like semis use for their block heaters. For heat a small topedo heater aimed in the service door with the ramp door cracked open at the top will keep you toasty.
We raced out of a setup like this and rebuilt a lot of polarises
on trail ride trips.LOL

raco_guy

thanks for the info about the electric. Doesn't running the torpedo build up carbon monoxide in the trailer though?

doomsman

thanks for the info about the electric. Doesn't running the torpedo build up carbon monoxide in the trailer though?
See that I said the ramp door is open at the top.
The infrared red heaters make monoxide also and a lot of moisture.
Ideally a sealed combustion camper furnace is the way to go but
it is heavier and a uni tasker.

raco_guy

rv245-

can't tell from the photos for sure, but it looks as though you ran the electric down the finished walls from the roof? Are you running off of your truck power or do you have a way to plug into a outlet or generator? Is your trailer also insulated or just have power hookup? I like the idea about the retractable shop light. What do you have on the floor (epoxy paint?) and are those standard truck bed mats cut up for your ski guides? Sorry so many questions, I just like the clean look of your trailer and trying to see what options to go with. Thanks for sharing.

dekx

I have a Triton Inline that I had them put outlets in the front and back when I ordered the trailer.
I bought an electric wall heater from Northern Tool for around $200 and plug it in side the trailer, and on the outside of the trailer is where I plug power in from.
I did not insulate my trailer and have the walls finished.
One thing I have learned is when you are defrosting the sleds in their, leave some air flow (IE vents) otherwise moisture will become a problem!
I can get my trailer warm enough in the winter to wear jeans and a t-chirt no problem.
I can post pics later in the week when I can get to trailer.

I bought an electric wall heater from Northern Tool for around $200 and plug it in side the trailer, and on the outside of the trailer is where I plug power in from.

What exact heater did you buy from Northern Tool? I'm looking for an electric heater now and have a Northern Tool catalog in front of me. Waitin for the pics!!!! Thanks.

rv245

I use a big buddy heater in my trailer. Heats it up very fast. Electric heaters are nice, but remember sometimes your going to be where there is no plug in available.

dekx

Here is the item number, you have to add the plug on which is no big deal.....Item# 173021
I will post pictures tommorrow, as I will be picking up trailer tommorrow.

Thanks dekx. Was looking at the same one. Nice to know how it works.

I use a big buddy heater in my trailer. Heats it up very fast. Electric heaters are nice, but remember sometimes your going to be where there is no plug in available.

I will be taken a generator with me to power the trailer so I don't have to worry about a plug in somewhere.

That will work :) Here is the same typ4 plug that I have on the outside of my trailer that I run my extension cord to.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_12_2007/post-33703-1198427696.jpg

Here is a trailer link if you what to check it out

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184665&hl=trailer 110 plug&st=0

I will probably go with that plug, thanks for the link to dootalk. Thats was a nice trailer. I will try set mine up the same way and get the accessories from Eastern Marine.