Need to build a shed

snoeatr

The garage is too full so I need to build a storage shed. I want a 10x12 and priced out the lumber and it exceeded my expectations by a few hundred. My dilema is that I am out of work for the forseeable future so don't want to spend a lot. My budget is around $600. I can put up a metal shed with a wood built floor under budget. Does anybody have a metal shed or input with those? I know a wood shed would be better and stronger, but the T1-11 wood siding alone is $25/ sheet and I would need 9 sheets. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Anyone have any money saving tips for this project or input on a metal structure?

zimmbob

Go out to craig's list and find the materials you need at a discounted price. there is lots of stuff out there from left over construction jobs where you can get it pennies on the dollar. I have a buddy that has remodeled almost his entire house (including siding, deck, patios, etc) buying the materials off of craig's list. If you've got some time, take a look. Many times, you can get it for free, because people just want to clean up. Other times, contractors are looking to unload material they already made their money on or is paid for by the customer, and they can make a few extra bucks. You'll just need to be a little flexible, and have the time to chase it down.

chords

I wouldnt put a metal shed on wood floor. Make a 2x6 frame with a sand/pea gravel base and patio slabs bought at Home Dee-Pot. Complete metal shed in one box, basic tools and build in a day and maint free for 20 yrs. Downside is not much headroom. You will be slouched over inside and bang your head coming in or out of door.

mezz

If you are going to build your own, why not go 12x12 rather than 10x12. No serious wasted material. There are way's such as mentioned above to cut material expense. Do you know anybody that cut's rough cut lumber? That might be an alternative to the framing material. As far as T-111, why not go with the OSB pressed sheets, they are less expensive than the plywood T-111 & are pre-primed for finishing. You could save a few $ by framing the side wall's & trusses on 24" centers. You could also save on the expense of trusses & go with a (lean-two) shed roof.-Mezz

polarisrider1

snoeatr, This is a novel idea, but how about a Garage sale to unload a bunch of the garage clutter. Then a dumpster to follow. You can raise enough money at the sale for the dumpster and some beer for your effort. When all done, voila garage space and you won't need the shed. This idea works great for me. Otherwise you will need an addition on your new shed before to long. Remember right now you have more time than money. Down size the clutter for dollars.

P

polaris_5

Snoeatr,I work for a lumber company around chicago land. If I were you I would check with a privately owned lumber store in your area. Ask them If they have any discounted lumber. We have quite a bit around the yard mostly weathered wood Once it turns grey and weathered it's hard to sell. Especially in new home construction Usually the boards are straight there just weathered. For what your doing they would be fine. We also do cut backs If the ends are cracked or a board is warped We cut back to a usable length. Sometimes that maybe a 6 footer.Which we usually sell cheap. With wood moving slow right now most privately owned lumber yards are willing to work with you on price. I would stay away from box stores as there prices do not flex to much.I would ask about everything you need to build a shed.Sometimes yards will have a couple bundles of shingles laying around they might want to unload.If you know any contractors check there job sites i know a lot of them throw a lot of lumber away in the dumpster. 2x4bracing,cut offs etc it never hurts to look.

snoeatr

These are all great ideas. I priced the lumber at Menards, I will check with a lumber company for a better price. The framing is not too bad, I came up with $280. The expensive part is siding and the roof. I am going to check into the OSB as Mezz recommended. Not a lot of new homes going up in this area, plus I'm not on a jobsite anymore to grab excess material. Thanks for all your inputs.

polarisrider1- that got a good laugh out. Its a good plan, but my clutter is toys. I have everything placed just right to still get the wife's and my vehicles in. Luckily my garage is 28'feet deep, but its just too tight. I would like to put lawnmower, atv+plow, snowblower, and misc. small stuff in a shed. But huh, maybe I could sell a few things for beer money, plenty of time to drink.

wags

Find one of those corner shed places or talk to the manager of a Home Depot, Menards or Lowes that still has their display sheds out, sometimes this time of year they will dump them cheap all you need to do is show up with a way to get it home. I know of 2 locations in the northwest burbs of Chicago. One is at the corner of Rt72 (Higgins) and Bartlett Rd in Hoffman Estates Il I think and the other is on Rt20 (Lake St) and North Ave in Streamwood Il.
Doing it this way saves all the way around except for moving the thing.

Good Luck

ezra

use osb 7/16 about 6 bucks a sheet and you can get 9 footers paint it for winter.once you get some cash side it with vinyl or what ever matches you house.use 2x3 for the wall studs make your own rafters dont spend the cash on trusses

anonomoose

Metal roofing comes with long "throw away" sheets on the top and bottom. A few sheets of that will do the roof and keep the shed lighter than conventional roofing. Find out who is putting one of these roofs on and see if they will give you the throw away material to cover the roof.

A

admin

Not any more moose.

Most metal roof companies are wrapping the material in vapor barrier type material. No more extra sheets.

-John

snobuilder

For an economical shed the OSB or Masonite, and even fibercement board sheets fastened directly to the framing, are an economical way to build/side., all these products take a primer and paint well.Studding @ 24'OC is doable also. As far as shingles, menards always has a discount area and are willing to accept offers if you want to haggle a bit.
Use standard pine as the rake, trim, corners and facia,and here again don't skimp on the primer and then a good coat or 2 of paint.
Dimensional lumber is priced at 15 to 20 year low so get er done!