Need Yamaha Help

Garrett

Any help would be greatly appreciated on the following:

I have a 2009 Vector GT. Sled is in great shape and runs well. However, I am being told I need a new rear suspension/dampening system (not sure what exact name is). The problem I am being told is that some of the parts for the dampening system are no longer made. Our only option might be finding a wreck sled to take parts from. Just curious if this sounds right that some of these parts might not be available for such a common sled? Any other suggestions on who to contact for parts?

Thank you

heckler56

Contact Barn of Parts in Pennsylvania. They specialize in yamaha salvage/parts. Extremely knowledgable in all things yamaha sleds. Case in point, I had a Viper but the clutch engaged at 5,000 rpm. They sent me a clutch spring for a early Vector and then my clutch engaged closer to 3,000 rpm.

snobuilder

If you are talking about the vibration damper you were lied to. Those dampers were only on 2016 or later Yamahas.
I just assumed you meant the shock absorber.
2009 had no such dampers.
They mounted fore and aft on the frame/bumper.
How about a back story on this sled and who said you need "dampers"

Shocks can be rebuilt. The rear suspension has a single monoshock.

What are sled miles?

Garrett

About 12,000 miles. Sorry should have not have used dampening. I guess its a rear shock but says cant get all of the parts to rebuild the rear shock and was told some of parts no longer being made?

snobuilder

About 12,000 miles. Sorry should have not have used dampening. I guess its a rear shock but says cant get all of the parts to rebuild the rear shock and was told some of parts no longer being made?
well I certainly am no shock expert but the monoshock rear suspension covered a lot of years. Most have the KYB shock. Ohliens were used also. I would find a local shock rebuilder in your area.
There was a Fox air shock used in that suspension as well.

heckler56

If BOP can't help you and it is a shock rebuild, start a new post here looking for places. In the past several JD members have mentioned rebuilding shocks and can answer the real question of if they can be.

In the meantime I will ask my riding buddy. He tears each of his machines down between trips and he is all Yamaha. He knows all parts in detail even as to substituted part numbers etc.