New drive system

acatzl550

that is a pretty good idea except that the chain could ice up after sitting a few hours and it would wear quicker in cold temps in the first place and there is no lubrication on it

G

G

that is a pretty good idea except that the chain could ice up after sitting a few hours and it would wear quicker in cold temps in the first place and there is no lubrication on it

Good points. Also snow is a lot more abrasive than most folks realize. I have to replace the chain on my tractor mounted blower every two years just because it has basically worn out. It almost looks like an O-ring cycle type chain he is using. Even that will not hold up. I would guess that he carries a spare chain with connector links with him at all times. I know I would. Otherwise I like the parts about better braking and fuel economy. He may have something but it has a ways to go.

zr500rider

Imagine price on replacing that long of belt compared to short belts we already use. Besides all issues others have mentioned above.

Hoosier

The gas mileage sounds good. Obviously there will be issues to work through, but what if this works? The efficiency improvements may allow for the use of smaller 4 stroke engines, saving weight and further improving mileage.

jmk62

maybe further technology could nix the chain and develop some type of c.v.shaft final drive. hey, I remember all the naysayers when fast came out with the m-10 in the early 90's "it will never work" was a common thought

G

G

maybe further technology could nix the chain and develop some type of c.v.shaft final drive. hey, I remember all the naysayers when fast came out with the m-10 in the early 90's "it will never work" was a common thought

From an engineering standpoint chains are in theory an inefficient method of power transfer. This is one of the reasons the Diamond Drive was developed. The early Diamond Drive equipped F7s were slugs. On paper this makes no sense. In addition to a supposedly more efficient drive system there were also significant weight advantages. As time went on AC figured out the clutching for the Diamond Drives a little better but their hyper sleds still do not have the top end they should have. There is a reason that '03 F7s still kick butt in drag races both on snow and land. A c.v.shaft final drive would require even more directional changes to work in a sled skidframe. Every time you redirect torque you loose a percentage of that torque. I am not saying it wouldn't or couldn't work. But it would be very much like the M10 suspension in that it would make some folks happy but it is certainly not the end-all for all conditions. The M10s are notorious for shaving 5 - 10 mph off the top end of any sled they get put on. Some folks don't care about this but others do. IF this new system covered all the bases - Excellent ride, superb dependability, gas mileage improvement, better braking, usable weight transfer, no loss of topend - the guy would have something. It would seem he has most of these bases covered except for long-term reliability. Only test miles will tell that tale. I happen to have a spare Apex. Perhaps the inventor could cough up a Yami adapted version for me to wind some miles on.

favoritos

I thought about the driveshaft idea too. How many years have we had them on our cars and trucks?
I also thought about electric drive. Run the engine as a generator like locomotives. Get rid of all the gearing etc.

It would be great to see something work. Next big step in sledding tech.