New Journal is up

Hoosier

Thanks for mentioning it's updated. It's strange how I miss reading John's updates on Sundays. Been a habit for decades now! I feel bad mentioning that given what his family has lost.

Thanks for continuing to share your life with us. My oldest son is the same age as Grace and I just can't imagine what she's experiencing.

Nice journal Nora! It's hard to hold tears back. I pray you and Grace and of coarse the dogs, "I hope they are well also" Stay strong, thank you for the great updates. Bless you guys,..... Jake

lofsfire

Nora, it was nice to see the entry and the updates.

Skyler or Gary, I'm not sure if Nora checks the board much but, if this is helpful, maybe one of you can make sure Nora sees this and maybe her neighbor she talked about the tractor can help make some adjustments...

In the journal, Nora talked about getting the correct height to use the snowblower and throwing rocks if adjust down to far. I don't have a rock drive but I had a few thoughts and maybe the guys with the rock drives can chime in as well. Also, I'm sure throwing rocks is just part of a rock drive and a snowblower somewhat, but of course you want to minimize it as much as possible.

1. This is the first winter in the house the drive is still new. therefore it's not a compacted like and older drive. Blower skids might need to be higher than normal.
  2. I would assume the first snow clearing you pick up more rocks, but after that it's probably less due to having a base built up and the rocks being more frozen together and having the tractor adjusted correctly.
  3. Tractor adjustments - I'm not sure what John did for snow clearing during construction maybe this has been done already but...
    1. Being a new drive, and not clearing the drive this year. John may not have had a chance to adjust the skid shoes and scraper bar. I just bought a new JD x590 with a blower. I even adjust mine a bit after the first use and I have a concrete drive that is flat.
    2. Skid shoes - I know they make some for my tractor that are aftermarket and they give more adjustment then the stock set. I have seen guys on the JD forums talk about how it gives more height adjustment which helps in gravel drives...
  4. Maybe other's have some tips and tricks that could help.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I hope this can help..

favoritos

Nice journal.
It was a tear jerker too. I can only imagine going through the holiday season with a whole list of painful firsts.
Nora, you do such an excellent job of conveying the story and emotions. I'm not sure if it helps to write and go through the reality of moving forward, but you write it well.
The story with the ornament is the kind of thing we all expected from the John we knew.

Tuck

Thank you for sharing with us all an eloquent journal entry filled with emotion and found memories.

What a bunch of troopers, keep on keeping on.

If it wasn’t for JD and this site, a good chunk of my life would never have happened. Cheers and God bless.

mezz

Nora, it was nice to see the entry and the updates.

Skyler or Gary, I'm not sure if Nora checks the board much but, if this is helpful, maybe one of you can make sure Nora sees this and maybe her neighbor she talked about the tractor can help make some adjustments...

In the journal, Nora talked about getting the correct height to use the snowblower and throwing rocks if adjust down to far. I don't have a rock drive but I had a few thoughts and maybe the guys with the rock drives can chime in as well. Also, I'm sure throwing rocks is just part of a rock drive and a snowblower somewhat, but of course you want to minimize it as much as possible.

1. This is the first winter in the house the drive is still new. therefore it's not a compacted like and older drive. Blower skids might need to be higher than normal.
  2. I would assume the first snow clearing you pick up more rocks, but after that it's probably less due to having a base built up and the rocks being more frozen together and having the tractor adjusted correctly.
  3. Tractor adjustments - I'm not sure what John did for snow clearing during construction maybe this has been done already but...
    1. Being a new drive, and not clearing the drive this year. John may not have had a chance to adjust the skid shoes and scraper bar. I just bought a new JD x590 with a blower. I even adjust mine a bit after the first use and I have a concrete drive that is flat.
    2. Skid shoes - I know they make some for my tractor that are aftermarket and they give more adjustment then the stock set. I have seen guys on the JD forums talk about how it gives more height adjustment which helps in gravel drives...
  4. Maybe other's have some tips and tricks that could help.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I hope this can help..
Keep in mind, the "Jake" doesn't get a whole lot of snow fall like the rest of the Keweenaw. This is the reason a lot of the deer migrate there for the winter, that being the low snowfall & the surrounding woodlands as well as the warmer temps due to the close proximity to the big lake.

bayfly

Thank you Nora. Well done! Please don’t get caught up with any sense of urgency or stress to publish journal updates. We are just appreciative any time you can write. It is so very heartwarming to hear from you.

lofsfire

Keep in mind, the "Jake" doesn't get a whole lot of snow fall like the rest of the Keweenaw. This is the reason a lot of the deer migrate there for the winter, that being the low snowfall & the surrounding woodlands as well as the warmer temps due to the close proximity to the big lake.
I did not know that...

chords

I have followed JD since the early days of Lk Linden. Not everyone has the ability to put their feelings and thoughts ( and pictures ) into words. You do and I hope you and Grace continue to stay strong.