New policy

big_bill

MICHIGAN, - State officials have deemed UTVs, or utility task vehicles, unsafe for the road after a recent policy change that’s catching a lot of owners off guard.

Fred Woodhams from the Secretary of State’s office said the policy change took effect 9 months ago, but some of those who own these off-road-vehicles are just now finding out.

“One thing to keep in mind is that these vehicles were never intended to be driven on the roadway,” said Woodhams. “It was never supposed to be for off-road vehicles being accessorized with additional features like a rear view mirror or blinker lights.”

However, people like Steve Cox from Lake Odessa have been modifying off-road-vehicles for years for legal street use. Prior to the policy change, an owner would need to get their vehicle inspected from an officer, obtain no-fault insurance, and get a title that would ultimately change a UTV into a modified pickup truck.

“I spent $2,500 to make it street legal and I pay all this money for insurance, it’s not cheap,” said Cox.

However, a policy change coming down from the Secretary of State’s office now prohibits modified off-road vehicles from operating on the road. There is a clause that allows those who’ve made the changes prior to be ‘grand-fathered’ in. But they’re not out of the woods yet.

Cox found out about the policy change after his insurance company dropped him. And with no insurance he can’t renew his plates. This essentially phases out any ‘grand-fathered’ UTV from hitting the road, which is a shock to dealers too.

“They didn’t notify the dealers,” said Brad Schroeder with Village Motor Sports of Grand Rapids. “The State of Michigan issued the policy change and it was pretty much effective immediately.”

It’s a change the state says had to happen.

“When we saw pictures of some of these vehicles with child seats in the back of them, we knew it was time to take action,” said Woodhams.

Cox hasn’t given up on staying street legal but says he’s called every insurance company in the state and nobody will cover him.

However it’s not like this in every state, Indiana currently allows UTV and ATV use on more than 30 county roads.

Interesting that his insurance company dropped him. I've probably missed something, but I haven't heard of these vehicles being an issue with the insurance carriers I represent. In fact I just went into my policy and added one no problem.

whitedust

Don't know much about the ATV,UTV road ready laws but must be aok in WI since most use is on road routes in Vilas. Interesting for sure since all road vehicals must have insurance in WI. Do ATV,UTVs have directionals stock front and back & rear view mirrors,windshield wipers stuff like that?

There are quite a few Michigan counties that allow ATV/UTV travel on the far right side of the road. No these vehicles don't come with directionals etc. This thread was started as there are some who have made their units road legal where they don't have to ride on the far right 5' of the road and don't have to abide by the 25MPH speed limit. They have to plate and insure just like automobiles. We ride ours all over and all it takes is a ORV sticker to ride the edge of the road. No plates or car insurance for me.

srt20

Don't know much about the ATV,UTV road ready laws but must be aok in WI since most use is on road routes in Vilas. Interesting for sure since all road vehicals must have insurance in WI. Do ATV,UTVs have directionals stock front and back & rear view mirrors,windshield wipers stuff like that?
Only roads in WI that atv/utv can "legally" travel on are Atv/utv routes. Like sled routes.
Atvs cannot be registered in WI and used on non route roads.

Farm use utvs have a different law and I'm not up to date on them, but they can use roads for farm use only, and I believe they have to have a slow moving triangle.
Atvs/utvs are allowed to travel up to 2 miles on roads for snow plowing purposes. Like if your bud lives 2 miles away, he can come plow out your driveway. Needs a slow moving triangle and 25mph (?) speed limit.

I wouldn't expect the road laws to change anytime soon in WI, with our current DNR setup.

None of the major manufacturers have directionals, mirrors, etc from factory. You can get them as options. Most states out west that allow them calls for blinkers, dot windshield, and horn.

whitedust

There are quite a few Michigan counties that allow ATV/UTV travel on the far right side of the road. No these vehicles don't come with directionals etc. This thread was started as there are some who have made their units road legal where they don't have to ride on the far right 5' of the road and don't have to abide by the 25MPH speed limit. They have to plate and insure just like automobiles. We ride ours all over and all it takes is a ORV sticker to ride the edge of the road. No plates or car insurance for me.

Vilas WI is allowing ATVs UTVS to share town roads when that town approves the use. Not shoulder use but use on the pavement with speed limit of 35mph. There prolly will be many ATVs UTVs on Wall street downtown Eagle River as they started to show up last year. I thought ATVs UTVs were road use ready directionals, mirrors sort of like stripped down 4 wheel cars. I can't say I understand the fun factor of road riding but I don't have objections to those who like to do it. I do hope ATVs UTVs are required to have insurance same as cars so fender benders or worse are covered. Maybe I should become more informed as I didn't much care but now that I'm sharing roads with ATVs UTVs I should know how they are equipped as may not signal turns or see me from behind. Yikes I just didn't know any of this!!!

whitedust

Only roads in WI that atv/utv can "legally" travel on are Atv/utv routes. Like sled routes.
Atvs cannot be registered in WI and used on non route roads.

Farm use utvs have a different law and I'm not up to date on them, but they can use roads for farm use only, and I believe they have to have a slow moving triangle.
Atvs/utvs are allowed to travel up to 2 miles on roads for snow plowing purposes. Like if your bud lives 2 miles away, he can come plow out your driveway. Needs a slow moving triangle and 25mph (?) speed limit.

I wouldn't expect the road laws to change anytime soon in WI, with our current DNR setup.

None of the major manufacturers have directionals, mirrors, etc from factory. You can get them as options. Most states out west that allow them calls for blinkers, dot windshield, and horn.

Eagle River has approved ATV UTV use on all town roads unless the road is posted as non use just the opposite in Phelps. They have approved signed ATV use routes only and all other roads are non ATV use. I can see ATV users face confusing town use laws from town to town in Vilas. I have never seen an ATV on route in Phelps for 2 years now but Eagle River ATVs are visable.

ranlam

I knew of a guy that did this just so he could ride his rzr down the highway, absolutly makes no sense what so ever! Like mentioned above in U.P. all you need is a sticker to get on most county and town roads. They call them off-road vehicles for a reason.