New Torsion Springs?

REVVERUP

I bought a 2005 REV, with a little over 7000 miles on it, and the back end never rebounded up to where it should, it sagged about 4-6 inches, and it's been driving me nuts. So I just ordered aggressive torsion springs (springs that wrap around the bar in the tunnel) I am a very aggressive rider, and I'm wondering if it could be something else that is causing the sled to not rebound correctly? Is it a shock? Should I loosen my shocks once I get the aggressive springs? I'm expecting a rough ride, and I'm 200 lbs. without any gear on. Any tips or advice?

Thanks

jimfsr

you can lift the back of the sled off the ground, the suspension should go all the way down, if not, something is bound up. You will have to remove it to replace the springs, so check it over then. Unless you have an X model, your shocks are probably not re-buildable.

REVVERUP

I do have an X model, I thought about getting the shocks rebuilt. The problem is when I go over bumps or jump on the back bar, it barely pops back up, but if I lift it up the suspension will drop all the way down. The suspension just seems "tired" could it possibly be a shock? I thought it was for sure the torsion springs.

spencer

springs

I replaced my springs with heavy duty ones last year and my sled rides like a dream. The rear stays up like it should, smooths out the bumps better than new. I also rebuilt my Fox shocks, I am sure they were both at fault. Just tore out the rear of my brothers Artic Cat do so the same work...His was really bad. The sled would not ever come back up without help. The springs are only about 30 bucks...get the heavy duty ones...good luck. If you change them yourself you may need a bearing puller for the bogie wheels bearings not sure as i have only done Polaris and Artic Cat.

indy_500

I do have an X model, I thought about getting the shocks rebuilt. The problem is when I go over bumps or jump on the back bar, it barely pops back up, but if I lift it up the suspension will drop all the way down. The suspension just seems "tired" could it possibly be a shock? I thought it was for sure the torsion springs.

after i bought my sled, it did the same thing. i knew it wasn't the springs since springs should last longer than 4000 miles so that may not be the case for you but i bought a new shock and the suspension works great. before, i would bottom it out just jumping on it, i rode about 200 miles bottomed out the whole time

jimfsr

if the suspension drops back down ok, then definately the springs, and possibly the shock. If they have never been serviced, get it done, should be about every 3000 miles or 3 years for a general trail rider, more often if you are agrressive.

REVVERUP

Thanks guys, I should be getting the springs today, and in by tonight if all goes well. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the shock needs to be rebuilt or not.

REVVERUP

I got the new torsion springs in... not very happy. The sled still sags about 2-3 inches. It does pop back a little faster, but still not what I expected. Are these sleds supposed to sag? I can't get rid of it. Do I need to recharge my shocks? I'm getting fed up with this suspension!

reaper969x

Lift the rear of the sled, and set it down, so it is fully extended. Measure at a set point (usually the rear bumper). Sit on the sled in normal riding position (don't jump or bounce), measure to the same point, this is your sag or "ride-in". Should be 2-3 inches. The more sag the softer the ride, the less the stiffer. I would say the springs are doing their job, as far as the rebound of the suspension, thats a different problem all together. Sounds like you could have a binding issue. 7000 miles is a lot of time for moisture and salt to work their evils on bearings, bushings and other suspension components. I just completely tore my rear skid down on my cat (similar design), and replace, repacked, and checked EVERYTHING. Now it rides like a dream and works like new. I'd start there, especially since your gonna have the skid out anyway. my .02
Good luck man

jimfsr

I don't know if you checked them when it was apart, but the gas charges shocks should be hard to compress and shoud extend back out on their own, without a spring. The front shock has a spring, the real (long one) does not, but it should still push out under the pressure in the shock body. There is usually well over 100psi nitrogen charge in the shock. If they have blead down, (no pressure), the springs may not be enough to hold up the sled weight on their own. Kind of like the gas struts on a truck cap or the clamshell covers on a trailer. without pressure in them, they wont lift.

longtrack

Its the Shock have it rebuilt. There is probably nothing wrong with the Springs. Make sure you take the the pressure off the Springs during the Summer.

I have a very heavy duty set of Springs that would hold up anything (400+Lbs). I took off my old Sled that would work, but at your weight its the Shock thats bad, they need to be rebuilt almost every year. I would do all yours seeing its a 2005.

REVVERUP

Thanks guys, I'm going to recharge the shock on Monday, I don't think it's a binding issue. I bought the sled from a dealer (whom I know very well) and the guy who owned the sled before me was an older guy 160LBS soaking wet. It still has the stock track on it, (mint) The guy babied the sled. It was always in an enclosed trailer, and yes in summer I pick up the back end. I will recharge the shock now, thanks guys.

miaferominka

I got the new torsion springs in... not very happy. The sled still sags about 2-3 inches. It does pop back a little faster, but still not what I expected. Are these sleds supposed to sag? I can't get rid of it. Do I need to recharge my shocks? I'm getting fed up with this suspension!

2 to 3 inches is perfect