New Yamaha tuner ski on a 09 FX Nytro results

ron_k

Just wanted to provide some feedback to my fellow " Dee'ers " on the new tuner ski from Yamaha for Team Blue riders.

So,
I have a '09 FX ( not a RXT or XTX, just a reg FX ) that had 825 miles on it when Santa brought me a set of tuner skis with 6" carbides . I just returned from riding the Wetmore / Grand Maria's area where I was able to get about 450 miles on since the upgrade and all I can say is WOW!! The tuner ski makes the FX chassis slice like my 98 SRX with 8" carbides. No more tippy feeling when setting up into a turn , it now actually goes in the direction of the ski tips.
Understeer / darting , was completely gone in 99% of the conditions I saw : Fluff , groomed , moguls , others tracks = total control ( of corse some slide/push in icy corners ). They made it so one can hang off and drift threw a turn. Something that I never felt I could do on this chassis. I do not have picks or any other modifications to this sled (aside from a tank bag) and I feel that now it is the best all around trail unit I've ever ridden. Awesome powerband , capable suspension ,great fuel mileage , comfy riding position , excellent headlamp, and now predictable precise steering. All in one.

As compared to a conventional sled this felt like I was riding a 140hp 20"BMX bike threw the trails. A total blast !

Yamaha is going to have come out with a 250hp sled with the capabilities of this one for me to upgrade from this!

P.S. only negative is getting stuck on ice covered pavement

ron_k

Thanks.
I'd tried to be as thorough as possible when it came to feedback from the skis without being too technical in wording.. I know there were reviews on the ski but no before/after comparison. I think an experienced rider should understand what I'm trying to convey.
Also
I posted pics of the trail so if interested you can see the actual trail conditions. I believe these were taken on trail 8 going into Grand Marais.
The Venture owner is the Rage owner's brother who declined to come up Tuesday with us but after hearing how good conditions were drove up to meet us Wednesday

Great report. I have thye 09 XTX with 8300 miles on the old skis. It is now equiped with the tuners and will make it's first trip Thursday. Looking forward to the results as they are certainly needed.

Also watch the steering knuckle ball joint wear on these sleds along with the A-arm bushings. This sled and another with about 5500 miles were both wore so bad you couldn't steer the sled. The A arm was catching on the knuckle locking up the steering. When rebuilding, buy the bronze bushing kit in leu of the factory plastic ones.

I'll respond back next Monday and now look forward to going in the direction suggested by the tree lines.

agriffinjd

I bought a pair of tuners from Meyer's in Ishpeming. They sell them with Woody's carbides, 6" on the insides, 4" on the outsides, as yamaha carbides are getting reports of short track life.

Huge improvement over stock skis with studboy 6" deuce bars, my previous setup with 3000+ miles on them. Handling improved and ski-lift went way down. Biggest surprise though was ease of steering. Maybe it was my deuce bars, but going through corners used to be a heavy duty workout. Now it's like having power steering.

gogebictodd

THANKS FOR SHARING! I have an 08 Nytro FX and with your review as well as postive comments from others, I will get a set of those.

With stricktly trail riding, do U know what the recommended bar/carbide set up is?

See the chart as it is laid out relative to riding style. I went with the 4" out and bar inside and its fine. Suspect I'll grab more carbide next time.
But, I would have thrown the bullxxxx flag on ron_k's comments around ski lift until I tried them. As stated above, I put a set on the XTX and now with 1,000 miles on them, I too say WOW to include I am now able to set the front top shock setting all the way soft and the skis lift way less. The sled is now a joy to ride.

otter

I put a set on my wifes 13' vector ltx right from the dealer when we picked it up, we had them put 6" yamaha carbides on both skis inside and out, they worked great but wore out in less than a thousand mi. at that point I put woody's 6" on them and now have about 1000 mi. on these and they look like new. No darting but it does push some in the corners.