Newbie planning a trip to UP next year

latner

Yeah, I know, season just ended so what's the urgency? Well, being the procrastinator that I am, it'll be time to make the trip and I'll be stuck winging it last minute not having a clue!

So, planning on a week long vaca in Jan. or Feb. and have never been to the UP. Would plan on riding Mon. - Thur. maybe Fri. Obviously snow conditions dictate where to go but let's say conditions are similar to this year.

Would like to stay somewhere that we can hit the trails from the room and have the option of heading in any direction we want (Bergland)? Also would like a little nightlife close by, restaurants, sportsbars or local favorite watering hole.

Any input would be appreciated Thx.

Just my opinion but having rode in the UP 2-3 times a season for the last 17+ years I would suggest starting in Watersmeet. You can go North, East and West from there very easy. I cant speak for the night life because we usually unload and travel the direction we want to go. But Bergland would have a lot more stops for night life around the lake if that's what you want.

Pizza Man

We've been going to Munising since 1980 and like that area.
During the week is the best as there is less traffic.

cooksend

Epic trips in the U.P. are done via backpack. Drop in watersmeet and head towards Gwinn on the first day then to Big Bay on the Next, wake up and rip your way to Copper Harbor followed by a day running to Lake of The Clouds and ending that ride in Hurley. Make the last day a short shot down the grade to your rig in Watersmeet because who knows what can happen when you spend a night in Hurley! ;)

whitedust

Epic trips in the U.P. are done via backpack. Drop in watersmeet and head towards Gwinn on the first day then to Big Bay on the Next, wake up and rip your way to Copper Harbor followed by a day running to Lake of The Clouds and ending that ride in Hurley. Make the last day a short shot down the grade to your rig in Watersmeet because who knows what can happen when you spend a night in Hurley! ;)

X2 got to bag when staying that long or you will burn out in 1 area. Watersmeet a good place to ride from in any direction.

pyroking

Rockland is another nice hub to start a backpack trip or day loops for that matter. You can easily get to copper harbor and back in a day and spend another day going to Hurley and back. Then we will do a two or three day saddlebagging into central/eastern UP. That way you don't need to carry a weeks worth of gear on your sled.

latner

Thx for the replies. So there are staging areas where you can leave the truck/trailer for a few nights and not have to worry about coming back to an empty parking spot? I do like the idea of the backpack trip.

whitedust

Thx for the replies. So there are staging areas where you can leave the truck/trailer for a few nights and not have to worry about coming back to an empty parking spot? I do like the idea of the backpack trip.

You have to start from some resort as a base & make arrangements with them. The Running Bear in Paulding would be a good base. You don't have to bag everyday but sooner or later you will want to break out of the home base area.

garyl62

Paulding, Bergland, Rockland or Greenland would be good places to stay a couple days then bag out of for the second half of your trip. There are probably options more toward the east too, but I'm not familiar with that area. If you don't bag someplace you'll end up running the same trails over a few times and will be looking for something different. Now, if you're going off trail you could be happy staying in one spot.

I have parked at the big lot in Watersmeet and had no issues, but I have been the told it's maybe not the safest all the time. They do have light and quit a few trucks and trailers were parked there with no issues. I also parked at Running Bear in Paulding, very nice people and very accommodating. Backpacking is the only way to go to see everything in the UP in my opinion. Unless you do a lot of off trail then it's not as important.