Newbie to big lake fishing

yoopermike

With a purchase of a new-to-me boat, I am starting to acquire gear for salmon/trout fishing on Lake Superior and Michigan. I picked up 6 rods and reels, 2 for leadcore, 4 for dipsy's or long-lining, or whatever. What does everyone run for a typical spread while trolling? I have no desire yet to set up for deep water with downriggers, yet. I feel that I can run 4 rods easy (3 if it's just me out obviously), and 6 when I get the hang of things. It's a small-ish boat for the big lakes, 17'9" Lowe sea nymph, so not a lot of room, and I'll have to pick my days for good weather. I'm thinking 3-5 colors of core off of the boards with spoons or jointed rapalas, and then the dipsy's with spoons, and MAYBE use 1-2lb cannon ball weights to run deeper right behind the boat with flashers/fly's. It would seem to me that you'd want your shallower baits out and back further from the boat, and then work your way in and down in the water column to avoid tangles. Am I thinking that correctly? Any opinions or tips would be welcomed.

Also, if anyone is looking for a 14' inland lake boat, I have one for sale...post for that is in Miscellaneous classifieds.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Back in the day on my brother in laws boat we used 4 downriggers (big johns) with line counters. Two dipsies set low and Two dipsy divers set high all four with planner boards. Then to tire our kids out we would send out one lead core straight out the back. I drove the boat and the brother in law set all the poles. Our kids reeled them. Good system for the kids. turns where vary long slow sweeping turns. We never used jointed rapalas. most always spoons or flies with flashers. As far as colors well we asked around alot and went on the radio to get info from the other fishermen. Key is don't burn yourself out at it. It suppose to be fun! I went a bit over board with it. Loved the down riggers the most since you had less gear to mess with when reeling in. Hang out on the fishermans dock and around the fish cleaning station to get info from the pros. Sure they will know your a newbie but hey, your burning a bunch of fossil fuel so best to get on the game quickly.

tomxc700

Not the cheapest route to go but will lessen the learning curve. Get yourself on a charter boat and pay attention to what, and how they do it.

You are correct the high lines go on the outside and get deeper closer to the boat.

Last edited: