non ethenol gas

alley mechanic

well hello to all its been a while since I posted on here, well I went a a trip to st germain wisconson last year for a week what I noticed was all the gas stations had non ethanol gas or rec gas, this year we want to go to Michigan the Baldwin area is non ethanol or rec gas available at all gas stations like wisconson never been to that area in a long time. I want to
thank you in advance for any information you may have about the Baldwin area.

ally mechanic

T

Tracker

no matter what gas type you run....use some NOX-ICE each and EVERY fill up.....no exceptions

and what do you mean by REC gas....reclaimed gas????? you buying gas from wally's smoke shop....????? if its rec 90 gas? no way on either one...ever

REC-90 is an ethanol-free, 90 octane unleaded gasoline blend designed for use in recreational/marine engines which can be damaged by the ethanol found in other gasoline blends

This is a Rec 90 fuel sample. Rec 90 is recreational 90 octane fuel with no ethanol. The fuel sample was removed from fuel tanks of an aircraft to verify if water was in the tanks (which there was none). The fuel when withdrawn from the tanks was clear as the video shows, but within minutes water seems to have been attracted and suspended in the fuel. The small water particles have collected in enough quantity that they reflect light and thus the fuel has the cloudy appearance. Volatility has much to do with water's ability to hold contaminants in suspension. Temperature was 80F with high humidity. It is not raining on the fuel sample. Further, I replicated this with 100LL and although to a lesser extent, 100LL aviation gasoline also exhibited a cloudy appearance. This video is shot in real time.

Last edited:

euphoric1

recreational fuel is the closest thing you can get to the fuel we used to have years ago before we had reformulated and now the ethanol fuels we have to deal with, running ethanol fuels are not damaging to engines straight out of the pump, the problem comes with storage and exposure to the atmosphere and then when and if gets cold enough out you can end up with phase separation which can then be damaging to engines and fuel systems. Upon the last tier of epa requirements any county receiving federal highway money has to carry at least one grade of reformulated fuel, and the non ethanol fuel grade you will most commonly find at stations is premium, leading to the next question, how old is the premium fuel you are getting from the pump because how many people use premium fuel. All rubber and gasket materials have been made to withstand alcohol fuels since the 90's, In my business I will admit fuel related repairs account to about 80% of the repairs that come through my door, especially this time of the year, and yes people are quick to blame the fuel but if you treat the fuel properly and don't store it for any length of times there is no problem or danger of running ethanol fuels.

old abe

recreational fuel is the closest thing you can get to the fuel we used to have years ago before we had reformulated and now the ethanol fuels we have to deal with, running ethanol fuels are not damaging to engines straight out of the pump, the problem comes with storage and exposure to the atmosphere and then when and if gets cold enough out you can end up with phase separation which can then be damaging to engines and fuel systems. Upon the last tier of epa requirements any county receiving federal highway money has to carry at least one grade of reformulated fuel, and the non ethanol fuel grade you will most commonly find at stations is premium, leading to the next question, how old is the premium fuel you are getting from the pump because how many people use premium fuel. All rubber and gasket materials have been made to withstand alcohol fuels since the 90's, In my business I will admit fuel related repairs account to about 80% of the repairs that come through my door, especially this time of the year, and yes people are quick to blame the fuel but if you treat the fuel properly and don't store it for any length of times there is no problem or danger of running ethanol fuels.

You are spot on all of it, euphoric!!! Treat any kind of fuel now days with a stabilizer immediately if to be stored for any period, short, or long term!!! I DO NOT recommend "Sta-bil", bad stuff!!! I like Startron, or K-100. Both prevent "phase out/separation. Prevention is better than problems for whatever it is!!!!!!!!! "PM", preventive maintenance!!! Diesel fuel is no different, pre treat it. I like Power Service Clear Diesel.

euphoric1

I wouldn't put sta-bil in my x mother in law's twice removed machine, and yes old abe startron definitely a good one, K-100, and another one is optimizer, the other thing important in stabilizers is metal deactivators to prevent that ugly corrosion and crystals that attach themselves to any exposed metal components of the fuel system because once that process starts, I don't care how clean you may think you have it... its coming back

xcr440

What's wrong with Sta-Bil? I've been using it for YEARS without any issues. Pour it in everything that sits seasonally (4-wheeler, lawn mowers, sleds in the summer (Even though I start the sleds every 2-3 weeks)). I ALWAYS use non-Oxy gas in everything except the cars as well.

euphoric1

if it works for you continue to use it, I don't want to start any arguments with anyone but this time of the year I am probably cleaning 30 carburetors or more a week and even if you weren't a mechanic if I put 10 of those carburetors in front of you and asked which one was put away with stabil you could tell which it was, and in defense of the product maybe the end user is not using it correctly, sometimes people think if some is good more is better when that is actually false, more can be worse than not enough. I see first hand what stabilizers and what not doing anything at all does and from what I have dealt with and seen I wouldn't use it, there are far better products out there. have been to dealer meetings and warranty updates and I will tell you there aren't any manufacturers in my business that recommend it and they aren't also trying to just sell you their product either. There is also another product out there that was very popular, we used to call it " mechanic in a can" and over the years and formulation changes is no longer recommended my most manufacturers either. If it works for you then use it, from what I see what it does I wouldn't.
What's wrong with Sta-Bil? I've been using it for YEARS without any issues. Pour it in everything that sits seasonally (4-wheeler, lawn mowers, sleds in the summer (Even though I start the sleds every 2-3 weeks)). I ALWAYS use non-Oxy gas in everything except the cars as well.

maddogg

I was wondering the same thing? A little Sta-Bil and a little SeaFoam and I've never had a problem. Always use the non-oxy unless I'm going to burn it up right away. Heck, I had a buddy who used to put moth balls in his gas - anybody have a clue what that was about?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a buddy who used to put moth balls in his gas - anybody have a clue what that was about?

Well I had to Google this one, I'd never heard of this.....but then I've never had mice building nests in my gas tank either.

What are the effects of mothballs in gas tanks?

It depends on the type of moth ball.
Naphthalene moth balls are hydrocarbons.
No harm and no benefits.

Dichlorobenzene moth balls are a different story. They contain hydrochloric acid ....i.e chlorine and are very corrosive. Kiss your fuel pump, injectors and possibly your catalitic converter good bye.
Don't do it!

T

Tracker

after reading these responses all I can say is....use some kind of isopropyl ....heet...nox-ice...whatever....EACH FILL UP....whether 6 gallons or 10 gallons...each time.....and euphoric1 is correct on sta-bil and seafoam....all you ever do is clean out green gunk in carbs...waste of money IMO...and euphoric....the premium gas....is used all the time...example....a Lincoln aviator will run on PREMIUM ONLY.....so does a lot of chargers and challengers and mustangs and anything with an engine that amounts to any HP.....my aviator is a cobra motor...so premium only....its all I use even in mowers and such since I also have taken apart 20 carbs and can tell which ones run seafoam/sta-bil and which don't....you can also tell who is cheap and buys wally smoke shop gas....which a lot of you tight wads do....don't do it...but since you do it now gives me more insight on why skidont motors blow all the time....skidont owners are tight wad non premium running cheap skates....its gotta be it....LOL....bottom line...just run PREMIUM IN YA SLED and add NOX-ICE to every tank...let me know if ya'll want that posted in Swahili incase ya didn't get it the SECOND time.....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

" mechanic in a can" .

ah yes....I believe your thinking aboot...MARVEL MYSTERY OIL....yes?

coach

MaddDogg mentioned SeaFoam. I have heard good and bad on this product. Euphoric1, you've most likely seen first hand what the results are of SeaFoam. What are your comments on this stabilizer?

Thanks

T

Tracker

can you say...TECHRON

go to PROJECT FARM CHANNEL for more info

latner

This topic comes around to different forums once or twice a year and I respond to them even though what I do goes totally against what the experts say.

I run 87 / 10% in most of my stuff, sleds, mower, small generators, stihl weedeaters. The harley gets premium because that's what the motor requires. The '97 carbureted 5.7 mercruiser runs good on 89. The guy who winterizes it for me uses marine stabil in the fuel. Factory, unopened carb.

Sleds are started and run off and on year round. Everything else is used in warm weather and then sit the entire winter.

I do two things, I run seafoam in everything a couple times a year and anything that has sat for any length of time always gets topped off with fresh fuel. I won't even try to start anything without adding fresh fuel.

This has worked for me for years, and I have never opened a carb.

Oh, I have never drained a carb before storage either.

Signed,
One Lucky SOB

euphoric1

The mechanic in a can I refer to is seafom, years ago yes...now no, tracker mentioned using heat and im sure a lot of people do, if you are running ethanol fuel be sure to use ISO HEAT (red bottle) if you add the yellow bottled heat you are going to make an already bad problem worse. I don't understand why especially in counties where we have ethanol fuel why we even sell the yellow bottle, i'm sure service garages don't mind it at all, just makes for more business. I do have to laugh when my customers insist they run the good gas, either from up north or from a nearby county, if you treat your fuel properly, be careful with long term storage, buy from a reputable station that turns over fuel regularly there is absolutely no danger of running ethanol fuel, and funny how even people who run the "good gas" still have fuel issues. IMO there is no longer any "good gas" treat it properly and there should be no issues.
MaddDogg mentioned SeaFoam. I have heard good and bad on this product. Euphoric1, you've most likely seen first hand what the results are of SeaFoam. What are your comments on this stabilizer?

Thanks

thebreeze

I am going home to pressure wash my dirt bike. I ran out of 91 non ethanol so I filled my pressure washer with my race bike's 30% VP C12, 70% 91 non ethanol premixed at 50-1 with two stroke oil. It ran just fine, so I am going to switch to that mix in my 2018 chevy silverado.

C

Cirrus_Driver

can you say...TECHRON

go to PROJECT FARM CHANNEL for more info

That seemed relatively inconclusive to me, and like he said, depends on where you look inside motor for effectiveness. Horse a piece - no clear advantage.

euphoric1

the fact of the matter is no matter ethanol, reformulated, oxygenated... we just don't have the fuel we used to years ago. You used to be able to clean carburetor jets with the equivelant size of a #2 pencil lead, todays carburetors if you aren't using an ultrasonic parts cleaner you aren't cleaning carbs anymore, fuel passages have become so small, EFI systems have become more precision in design and delivery, engines have become higher compression, higher rpm's, higher performance. Making engine starting, performance and life more sensitive to quality, octane and freshness of fuels. Paying more attention to what you are using or running continues to be more and more important and stabilizers have also become more specialized and quality, be careful with what you put in your tank, where you are getting it from, how long you keep it and how you stabilize it.

alley mechanic

whow I didn't expect all that explamation on e-10 which I already know , just wanted to know if ethanol free gas is available in Baldwin Michigan around wolf lake found out that its available at wolf lake store also when I said rec gas around here in Indiana pumps are labled recreation gas or rec for short I run non ethanol gas in my 2000arctic cat zl580 esr since new if I run e-10 I have to unplug a a wire at the cpu which make the motor run a little richer which e-10 leans the mixture a little but anyway thank you for that information .