non turbo 900 vs viper

flyinfinn

could the Doo give the viper a run for its money ? maybe slam the sport mode to the 900.plus they added 5 hp this year to the 900.

old abe

Riding bud has several Yama/Cat Viper/7000's. The wifes 900NA has no problem leaving any of them behind? Twisty's, or wide open running.

mrbb

I had a 7000, and I ran a guy on a NA 900 down the railroad bed on mine, and he didn;t come close to me out of the hole and never for sure caught up?
BUT on a basic trail ride, NOT playing ricky racer, he had zero issue running right with me
if you want a race like ride, buy something with better HP
90 HP VS a 135 , its just not a real match IMO NOT in stock to stock trim anyhow!

snobuilder

riding bud has several yama/cat viper/7000's. The wifes 900na has no problem leaving any of them behind? Twisty's, or wide open running.
\
lol

Once they're rolling the 900 ace is a great fast twisty trail sled like a 600 but i think the glitch is the power limiting drive by wire off the line.

1fujifilm

could the Doo give the viper a run for its money ? maybe slam the sport mode to the 900.plus they added 5 hp this year to the 900.

Gonna have to train the the Doo rider to throttle up a second before he plans to leave the starting line.

Bear

snobuilder

No bull, sorry. Partly April fools as my sled has been clutched, and turns 7600rpm. YamaCat Vipers/7000's no problem.
main-qimg-69c3f1ec17484ac25ca18d66ee516a65.webp

buddah2

No bull, sorry. Partly April fools as my sled has been clutched, and turns 7600rpm. YamaCat Vipers/7000's no problem.

I might have been born at night but it wasn't LAST night...no amount of "clutching" is going to overcome a 30 hp, minimum, deficit...using your "logic" you'd be outrunning ever single 600 E-Tec ever produced....nice try !!!

mrbb

what would then happen if you clutched a viper/7000?
your back again to being behind on the HP
just saying, not hating
apples to apples, if the name of a fair race,
mod one sled over OEM and its not a OEM sled to a OEM sled!

G

G

This conversation is a perfect example of a violation of one of the first rules of the John Dees site. NO ARGUMENTS ABOUT WHO HAS THE FASTEST SLED. Secondly I hope nobody ever bought either the NA 900 or the Viper thinking they were going to go very fast.

old abe

I might have been born at night but it wasn't LAST night...no amount of "clutching" is going to overcome a 30 hp, minimum, deficit...using your "logic" you'd be outrunning ever single 600 E-Tec ever produced....nice try !!!

My normal riding bud rides a 600 Etec. The 900 4 stroke will pull him, as he is rock stock, hard out of the gate, same as to the YamaCats. He is slightly faster on top end, but not by much with my RPM raised up. And yes, clutching will really wake these ace 900's up as to hard pull. I have both the stock E-drive 2 clutch, with a Goodwin set up in it, but I use a PB-80 primary mostly, due to the ease of tuning, and always the same constant shift out pattern/RPM's. I use Dalton parts in the secondary sheave. Kind of my own setup, and works good. Took me awhile to get it where I wanted it. The little sleeper has dropped the jaws of more than a few. Not trying to brag, just a very happy rider. It's my wife's sled.

brad460

This conversation is a perfect example of a violation of one of the first rules of the John Dees site. NO ARGUMENTS ABOUT WHO HAS THE FASTEST SLED. Secondly I hope nobody ever bought either the NA 900 or the Viper thinking they were going to go very fast.

The resident hall monitor...lol

snobuilder

Where is Doo the doo? who is in great shape by the way....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

The resident hall monitor...lol
Grudge the yamaha hater is now rippin on the very first built for snow base 4 stroke in the industry that now squirts out 204 HP with minimal boost and is used by 2 of the 4 remaining sled manufacturers....

G

G

Hp sells sleds. Clutching wins races. It has only been like that for, umm, 40 years. All the geezers on this site should know that by now. Unless those brain cells have fallen by the wayside. Hp is just a very minor variable. Especially since nothing made anymore is designed to exceed 100 mph. Except the Sidewinder/TCat. It is all just a race to 100. The difference is just where you want to start from. 0 to 100 or 70 to 100. Factory clutching is one size fits all. Or also one size fits nothing. If you run 70 to 100 all day factory clutching has a lot of room for improvement. However this is 2019. The average slender cares a lot more about properly functioning thumbwarmers than proper clutching. Kind of sad where the whole sport has gone. In another 10 years the last of the hard cores will be gone. What will be left will be pretty boring. Oh and by the way a 2002 Indy 500 xc will give both a Viper and an NA 900 all they would ever want. My how far we have come.

G

G

Where is Doo the doo? who is in great shape by the way....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Grudge the yamaha hater is now rippin on the very first built for snow base 4 stroke in the industry that now squirts out 204 HP with minimal boost and is used by 2 of the 4 remaining sled manufacturers....

I snowchecked a first year Viper. 500 bucks. Then I read about it all summer. I didn't take it in the fall. Heavy slow junk. Then and now. Now I have a sidewinder. I have had faster sleds that have handled better. The sidewinder in stock form is meh. The beauty of it is that it can be easily and cheaply modified to higher hp. But then it eats itself up and becomes undependable. Not the answer. Still looking.