North Shore/Tower MN

elf

Over the weekend our family rode form our cabin near Finland up to Tower MN to stay at Fortune Bay Resort for a night. We left Saturday morning and came back on Sunday. It was about 100 miles each way, about right for the kids. Unfortunately on Sunday morning I checked the temp and it was -18 so it was a cold ride home. The trails were excellent all the way. The Finland area had gotten 7-8" of new snow Thursday so it was excellent riding. The area near Tower/Babbit had less snow but the trails were still very good. Forest roads north of Isabella were awesome.

104870.jpg

My kids had a nest in a tree
104871.jpg

Wife and kids at Lake Superior overlook
104872.jpg

Bean or Bear lake in Tettagouchee St Park
104873.jpg

Stopping for a trail side lunch compliments of the Hot Dogger!
104874.jpg

Trail conditions near babbitt
104875.jpg

Trail conditions in Tettagouchee}
104876.jpg

My son with a monster truck in Babbitt

elf

Kendrick,
It really depends on the riding style. We just had hot dogs that day and after about 2 hours of easy trail riding, they were not quite hot but really warm. One weekend I put in frozen burritos and we rode really hard that day for a couple of hours, breaking trail, running power lines, etc... and they were very hot, very well cooked from a frozen state. Also, it was about 20 degrees warmer that day. So I think if you are working your sled hard, they work great. Just trail riding on a real cold day, not as well.

jthedens

Elf - great pics as usual! I will be looking for you this weekend as my wife and I will be up staying with friends on Nine Mile. Hope to run into you, and if I don't - well keep up the good work on posting info for that area. JT

samc

Nice pics. Elf, do you know where you purchased the hot dogger? That would be nice to have when were back woods riding. Thanks

elf

I purchased the hotdogger from Shade tree. You can go online to their website and get one.

C

canoepaddler

Elf - If you head up that way this weekend, can you post a report when you get back? We're heading up next week and hoping a few warm days here doesn't mess things up too bad. Thanks.

elf

We'll be in the Finland area this weekend and I will certainly post a report along with some pictures on Monday or Tuesday.

Sounds like they are already saying snow for mid week so keep your fingers crossed!