North Shore trail conditions

elf

Went to the cabin near Finland for 5 days after Christmas. Got up there on Sunday, the 27th. They got between 20-26" depending on who you ask. Nearer the lake got much less and then about 20 miles inland got less. most of the trails were in good shape, they were just getting the last of the local trails around Finland groomed by Thursday. The wet heavy snow combined with effects from the ice storm last march made for a lot of low hanging branches on trails but they are working hard on getting it cleaned up. Rode the NSST down from the Trestle Inn to Finland on Thursday afternoon and it was phenomonal. We were making first tracks down a freshy double wide groomed trail. Caught the groomers right near Finland. Rode some logging roads and forest roads and had some excellent riding. 20"+ of powder, good times. If you plan to do boondocking up there, plan to clear lots of trees and branches.

Attachments

• 038 [800x600].jpg
    038 [800x600].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 039 [800x600].jpg
    039 [800x600].jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 043 [800x600].jpg
    043 [800x600].jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 040 [800x600].jpg
    040 [800x600].jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 412
  • 041 [800x600].jpg
    041 [800x600].jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 524

jthedens

Hey Elf - we were up at the cabin at the end of the Gunflint....you have way more snow around there...looks great! Next visit up, hoping to make it down to the trestle or knotted pine. thanks for sharing your pictures!

Canoepaddler

Hey Elf, we must have been just a little ahead of you on Thursday, riding from the Trestle to Finland. We caught up to the groomers about 1/3 or 1/2 way back to Finland. The Moose Walk was absolutely beautiful in the morning, running from south to north. There was one area that looked like a total white-out because the snow was plastered on the trees from the same direction that we were riding. We had a fun time up there, with almost no other traffic. The most sleds we saw were Wednesday at the Trestle, very few while riding.

Dave

elf

Justin,
Yes, i heard we had a lot more snow than up the gunflint. They even said as you got another 20 miles up Hwy 1 to Isabella there was quite a bit less.

Canoe paddler, did you eat at the Trestle then? If so I'm sure we saw each other. I had the kids with, a boy and girl. The moosewalk was beautiful riding. The pictures I took showing the trail were on the moosewalk.

Canoepaddler

Elf - yes we did. I talked about it with my wife last night and we remembered a couple kids come in while we were eating. The 3 of us were at a window table, right next to the table with 2 kids. Did your kids have hot chocolate? That's about all we remember, server asking if they wanted hot chocolate. I'll have to watch for you next time we're up in the area. We had the 2-up right by front door with the orange flag.

Dave

elf

Yep, that would have been us. Next time you head up that way drop me a line. We are up there every weekend.

jessemiller

Heading up Sunday for four days. Hope the trails still look that good when I get there!!!!! Anyone else be in the area, I need someone to ride with.

elf

We'll be riding up there again Saturday and Sunday. If your in the Finland Area let me know and we can hook up for a ride on Sunday.