North west Minnesota

Who got snow and how much? Was thinking of heading to Thief River Falls on Wednesday to ride for a few days. Looked on radar from Thief north had snow most of the day.

G

G

Not from TRF but 65 miles away. We got about 7 inches. On top of about 8. Trails just starting to get groomed. Not the best. According to the MN DNR Snowmobile maps none of the Beltrami trails have been groomed as of last Thursday. I would think you could surely ride but it is not going to be anywhere near optimal. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update, was hoping to hear a few areas got crushed with snow. Probably too much to expect while it was raining here. Do you know if you guys are expecting more this week, I thought John had your area in 4-8" this week so hopefully that happens. Where would be the best place to stay in the area that's close to the trail? This is a father/son ride before we head to UP in a few weeks. Thanks for any info

G

G

After today no more snow in the forecast for this week. Temps good though. About all you have around TRF is groomed ditches. And they are not going to be the best. If you stayed in Baudette instead you would have woods and probably the lake. You would have riding in 3 directions. No matter where you stay in Baudette you are close to the trail. Again, the area is not in mid-winter riding condition but there is snow. Plus you could go and pee on Skiroule's porch.

skiroule

Again, the area is not in mid-winter riding condition but there is snow. Plus you could go and pee on Skiroule's porch.

Too late, I’ve already marked my territory.

Snow totals between Baudette and Lake of the Woods are similar to Grub’s area. CrossfireLOW’s webcam in Baudette looks about the same as well.

I’m told that the lake trail to Oak Island is staked but don’t think the river trail out of Baudette is as of yet. People are riding the trails and have said the swamps are Ok for snowmobiles but haven’t heard of any grooming. Had we gotten the top end of the potential 12+ range it might have been worth the long drive but at this point in the year I don’t think it is. Sounds like northern ND got hammered – some roads closed between Winnipeg and the ND border.

Going to take a little spin this afternoon and check things out first-hand.

Last edited:

bearrassler

We have groomed our MN trails a couple of times already and they have good snow but are mostly highway ditches so I don't think that I would travel that far for riding. I did call Pinehurst Resort near NayTaWaush and they said that they got 6 to 8 inches on top of about 14 inches that they already had. It is a very good area to ride and is located between Mahnomen and Itasca state park

Keep me posted on what you find on your ride today, hate to drive that far for less than mediocre conditions but I have done it before.

GTL

Check with Ash River Lodge-------rumor has it they are riding in that area. I have ridden out of there many times and you can go three different ways from there.

G

G

Northeast ND got smoked with a good amount. Just 20 miles from me BUT - grooming over there is sporadic to non existent. Which is a shame because they have some nice loops. Otherwise how about Tower/ Vermilion??? Or is that where Ash River is?? Not familiar with Ash River Lodge. Taconite not even stick-picked yet. Your options are limited.

Yeah I know I'm limited, maybe north central/east will work. I'm riding somewhere, maybe watch lake effect and go toward Hurley/Ironwood area.

snowlover

My boys rode Saturday from Elbow Lake Store (which is NW of Park Rapids) towards Itasca State Park and over to Pinehurst and said it was great riding. Trails were groomed and flat for the most part. I am not sure how they will be after the rain Sunday but I am guessing they will be fine.

skiroule

Took the Rainy River out to Lake of the Woods. Didn't go any further as visibility was marginal. River was awesome though - like riding on carpet. According to the Tourism Bureau the trail is now staked all the way to Baudette. Was nice breaking trail but after the tracks freeze up it will probably will be considerably rougher (forecast is for sub-zero temps in the near term).

I guess I stick by my original opinion that conditions here just aren't worth the drive. Sounds like the Itasca area or the Iron Range might be the ticket for MN riding and are much closer for you. As you mentioned, MI and WI are always options.

Good luck and have fun wherever you decide to go!

bearrassler

My boys rode Saturday from Elbow Lake Store (which is NW of Park Rapids) towards Itasca State Park and over to Pinehurst and said it was great riding. Trails were groomed and flat for the most part. I am not sure how they will be after the rain Sunday but I am guessing they will be fine.

I talked to Greg at Pinehurst today and he said that they didn't get any rain, it started as sleet and turned to snow, he said that they got 6 to 8 inches, and the riding is as good as it has been in 3 years. The phone number is 800.405.5746. It would be a lot less drive time than Baudette also.

snowlover

It's nice to know they got snow up by Pinehurst. I love riding in that area. Too bad my sled is broke down and my wife won't let me ride yet otherwise we would be heading to DL again this weekend.
Firefighter, it is worth the drive up north of Park Rapids area to ride. Most trails are on forest roads and some lakes. Trails up there have always been well maintained.

I think you are right snowlover and bearrassler, I will call tonight or tomorrow and we will head that way on Wednesday morning.