Northern Bayfield Cty, 25" of Powder

GBPoo

Had a chance to get out today and there is tons of snow and nobody on the forest roads and trails. Not even the locals yet, Had a blast getting to the Pub & Grub for lunch

WisDoo

GBPoo...SHHHHHHHHHHH! Nobody watches us up here! We the area within the towns you described usually has 3-4 feet on the ground.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

fireworks

Too late. It's on my radar :D

When you were talking last weekend about going to the MN north shore, I was going to tell you to go to Bayfield. Then I saw you did not have your sled back. So I didn't mention it. If you want a cheap place to stay, go to Lumbermen's in Iron River and ride north.

600_RMK_144

When you were talking last weekend about going to the MN north shore, I was going to tell you to go to Bayfield. Then I saw you did not have your sled back. So I didn't mention it. If you want a cheap place to stay, go to Lumbermen's in Iron River and ride north.

Yeah, still waiting on the sled. They had to order parts for the re-coil, had all kinds of problems with it last season (electric start was looking real tempting). Thanks for the lodging suggestions!

fireworks

All I can say is wow. There is only 5 of us at the lumbermen and very little traffic. They have been grooming at night. We rode a little trail cause it was untouched. But we hit a lot of FR,s that no one had been on. We were easily pushing 2 feet and in spots over the hood for about 60 miles out of 100 we rode today. Best part I passed up a lot of dead end trails through the woods for tomorrow. Been snowing lightly all day. Would not be surprised to see another six inches up by Valhalla.

fireworks

Lumbermen's was $61.50 a night for 2 full size beds. Nothing special. No kitchenette or anything. But a place to sleep after a hard days ride.

90s

I wish you guys would quit talking about the excellent riding in Valhalla, forest roads, pub & grub, before more discover this kind of fogotten area. Been riding there for over 20 years and I'm still not tired of the area.

Same here, been riding there for years. I always say, the best part is watching trailer after trailer eastbound on HWY 2 headed for da yoop just because that's what everyone else does. They have no idea what they're driving right past. Bummer for the local economy (esp in an area that really needs the $$$ right now) but good for sledders who don't want a ton of traffic.

GBPoo

Same here, been riding there for years. I always say, the best part is watching trailer after trailer eastbound on HWY 2 headed for da yoop just because that's what everyone else does. They have no idea what they're driving right past. Bummer for the local economy (esp in an area that really needs the $$$ right now) but good for sledders who don't want a ton of traffic.

My only intention was to create $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for area.

I hear ya, I love seeing the businesses packed with sleds there. Especially in Iron River. That town is just not the same as it was a decade ago, it's sad to see all the empty buildings and closed businesses.

samc

Same here, been riding there for years. I always say, the best part is watching trailer after trailer eastbound on HWY 2 headed for da yoop just because that's what everyone else does. QUOTE]

Use to ride the area all the time until about 5 yrs ago when the snow started to get thin. Love the area and sounds like it's time to start going back. The fire roads/off trail was great and the night life at the pub n grub was always very entertaining to say the least (out-door fires/sleds jumping).

90s

I meet all the trailers headed east to Yooper land, they probably wonder why is that fool headed west. Many years back the area was very popular, Chuck's C Side was a zoo on week ends, there were always crowds at Corny & Herbster. At times, and for a number of years snow conditions were thin by the lake making it hard to get into those towns, and there were some other factors that contributed to the decline in snowmobiles in the area. Usually if the snow is thin by the lake, if you can get to the barrons you will have good riding. Doug at the Pub & grub is doing a good job of turning things around. As soon as my sled gets here, I'm west bound.