Northern MN Flatlanding 03.16.2019, a Video Collection

skiroule

Gary’s recent video inspired me to grab the camera and shoot a little footage myself, as I was finally able to coordinate with a couple of long-time riding buddies from the Cities and get out for a local ride in the back country.

Just prior to getting out, the snow had changed from deep fluff to deep, firm snow (some would call it “Hero Snow”). The powder would have been fun but the firm snow provided better obstacle protection, particularly in the creek bottoms which are typically riddled with beaver gnaw stumps, dead-heads, fallen trees, surprise drop-offs, and beaver dams
I think I felt every one of my 70 years the next day but it was a small price to pay for a day of great riding.

Thanks to Ben for contributing some video and, as always, it’s way better viewing in full-screen . Apologies for getting my opened old-school face shield in some of the shots – didn’t think it would interfere.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never get tired of watching this stuff and that stick to the head could've been trouble with an old school, open face helmet.

D

Deleted member 10829

Looks like it was a great day to be out exploring the back country! Very cool to see you still getting together with old riding buddies.

Definitely would not want to run those creeks with powder snow. But these are from last month on the power line and a forest road, the powder was incredible by this area's standards in February. Didn't dare stop unless you were on an old track.

IMG_20190218_150750437_HDR.jpg IMG_20190218_143320256_HDR.jpg

skiroule

Definitely would not want to run those creeks with powder snow. But these are from last month on the power line and a forest road, the powder was incredible by this area's standards in February. Didn't dare stop unless you were on an old track.

Your photos pretty well capture the conditions, especially the power line photo. Deepest powder in at least the last decade or so in this area. I was out earlier in the week before the ride and it was pretty much non-stop heavy on the throttle anywhere that the wind couldn't firm it up.

I couldn't believe how much it set up with only about a two-day warm-up but as I said, that presented new opportunities. Had it not done so, I think our riding plan would have been quite different.

bearrassler

That looks like a lot of fun Kelly, one of these years I have to get up there and ride with you for a day, I could take you out for a day either in the Grand Forks area or the Pinehurst area in return

skiroule

That looks like a lot of fun Kelly, one of these years I have to get up there and ride with you for a day, I could take you out for a day either in the Grand Forks area or the Pinehurst area in return

Hard to believe it's been something like 5 years since we last got out for a ride together - time really flies! Have to change that next year, after all, it's only about a 3 hour drive. Really hoped to make the AK vintage show in EGF this year but I think the weather caused me to pass. Cool show, need to get there sooner than later.