Northern MN

xcr440

Grand Rapids to Lutsen to Duluth to I-Falls the last 10 days - put on 2085 miles!

Trails were FANTASTIC - hats off to all the Groomer operators and trail coordinators that have things in really good shape up there!! Ride while you can, March is just around the corner!!

No need to ask about specific trails, they all have good snow, as long as they get groomed, and EVERYTHING was being groomed!!

IMG_3140.jpg IMG_3192.jpg IMG_3265.jpg IMG_3291.jpg IMG_3307.jpg IMG_3383.jpg EAXM8858.jpg IMG_3320.jpg

snowchief

Nice pictures!! Heading up to voyageurs area March 4th-7th unless something changes and it's better somewhere else.

xcr440

Nice pictures!! Heading up to voyageurs area March 4th-7th unless something changes and it's better somewhere else.

Buddy stayed up and threw down 278 yesterday from Cook to I-Falls to Crane Lake to Tower and back - said it was all groomed up, EVERYTHING, except the Voyagers portage trails - apparently they are NOT pulling the sled drag through the portages this year.

snowchief

That's good to hear. Enjoy following your riding this year you must be piling up the smiles. I haven't been able to get away as much this year got my boy just started wrestling this year and daughter is involved with vball and basketball which is fun also but not the same lol, does not grooming the portages mean that the trail to kettle falls isn't groomed either I wonder, that's about the only longer portage if my memory is accurate.

xcr440

He did go by Kettle Falls, I can't remember exactly where that is - but the 25mph portage trails are the ones he said are not being groomed - including the one that is 6+ miles. Lakes are flat as a pancake up there though.

Miles: Almost 6k this year so far, with trips the next two weekends for sure.

SledTL

Damn, thats some serious seat time. Might have to link up with you some time as you seem to find the good stuff!

oldguy

The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.

xcr440

The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.

This makes sense then - should be groomed today if they hold schedule!

Carbide

I did 450 miles up there Friday Saturday and Sunday. Saturday it was in the 50s and a little slush and bare spots in a few corners. But grooming should've cleaned those up.
I went for a 80 mile rip Monday am and found some fresh groomed trails. Was really wanting to stay!

elf

We rode out of Finland on Friday and Saturday and trails were excellent. Ran up to Devils Track and back on Friday and then parts of the Tomahawk and Yukon on Saturday and they were all good. Still plenty of snow everywhere.

WorkHardPlayHrd

The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.[/QUOTE

Put on 275 on Saturday and 254 on Sunday. Crane Lake groomer was out both nights. Some of the portages in Voyagers got groomed on Saturday night, the one by the cross lakes trail did. Arrowhead was very good on Saturday, but for the amount of snow they have gotten up there I was surprised at the lack of base in some of the areas. Hope they get another snow storm in the next few weeks. Worst section of trail was Sunday night between Echo Lake and Buyck. Got sick of it and jumped on the Vermilion River Trail south. Didn't see one sled on trails after 5:00 on Sunday.

snowchief

Getting a little nervous about middle to late trip up there next weekend, worried there won't be much lube on the lakes or trails

xcr440

Getting a little nervous about middle to late trip up there next weekend, worried there won't be much lube on the lakes or trails

May need scratchers in the mornings, but after a few sleds go through, there is still plenty of snow up there. Lakes were smooth.

WorkHardPlayHrd

May need scratchers in the mornings, but after a few sleds go through, there is still plenty of snow up there. Lakes were smooth.

Only time we had problems with overheating was the last 5 miles on Lake Vermilion on Sunday night. You're right about the flat part. Vermilion was as good as any railroad grade. Flat and fast.😁 Lakes in Voyagers had more snow on them for lube. It was 19 degrees on Saturday night when we got to Voyager's on Crane Lake and never had one problem overheating all day even though it was 50 degrees out. It was a beautiful weekend.

snowchief

Trying to decide between crane lake area or gunflint for next wed-sat anyone been riding the gunflint up there? Or anyone riding both know which had better base?

I’m looking for some input on the best place to stay and ride this Sunday-Tuesday. I do most of my riding in the UP and northern Wisconsin so I’m not really familiar with northern Minnesota. I did ride the Gunflint last March which was really nice. A quick little trip with my son now that hockey season is over and before I leave for Mexico late next week. Was thinking Grand Rapids area unless anyone knows of some better areas. Thanks

xcr440

http://www.antlerlodge.com/

I stayed there last weekend. Right on the trail with quick access to the Taconite state trail.
Under $80 a night for a nice cozy room with 2 beds.
North of Grand Rapids and plenty of great trails.

Shhhh - don’t be giving away secrets!!

It’s a bit of a pain to drive to, but trails will be awesome basing out of there.....