Northwestern Vilas Conditions

Cirrus

Hello all from God's country. Recently moved here between Presque Isle and Boulder Junction, living the dream.
This is the first day where the lake is glazed over with ice. We've had 3-4 mini snow events, but obviously a long way to go.

If anyone needs weather info or trail conditions, let me know. Davis Pro-Advantage 2 installed, armed and dangerous. LOL

katden4

Congratulation's! And thank you for offering up conditions! Let us know how you like your Davis Pro.

euphoric1

Congrats Cirrus, truly living the dream! lets hope the snow comes sooner than later, however there is a lot of freezing that needs to happen first.

pclark

Congrats on your move, not a bad place to live the dream. What lake are you on? We are over on Spider Lake on the Manitowish Chain. I looked at the cameras and there was some skim ice with snow on it in front of my place. Coming up for about a week tomorrow, looking forward to a big snow season again this year. Enjoy Gods country!

racerx

Congrats on the move. Just like you we just moved up here and going on two months for me, still does not seem real and just a long vacation. Surprisingly I was able to keep my job when in pre-covid times earlier this year I was thinking my career in manufacturing was done. I did some ice/snow covered lakes a few weeks ago but that week warm up kill all of that. While brushing trails this past Saturday the trails were a mixed bag between soft a firming up. We did notice the typical wet spots had a lot of water.

Cirrus

Yeah Racerx, it does seem like a long vacation, and days and time just fly by. Kind of scary when you think about getting really old. We moved on 10/23 in a snow storm, and had some pretty good ice as well, but then we had low 70's the following week which allowed me to do some final mowing and various other projects. Wife isn't loving it yet, but it's beautiful to me. Wish I could have got out for some musky fishing, but too busy. We have our snow plowS...(plural), all hired, so I'm waiting for the big snow. We have an access road that about 10 homes share the cost, and then another 1/4 mile driveway.

whitedust

Your wife will be gone before the snow melts

Now that’s some funny stuff!!! Lol Northwoods isolation seems wear at the female mind been there done that for 15 years. Always comes down to happy wife happy life! Best wishes to ya but put effort into happy wife when in the Northwoods.

nhra1000

Your wife will be gone before the snow melts

Agreed, we have hired so many people and most don't make it thru the winter...if you think this year is normal...its not. Figure winter from very early October pretty much thru April.

racerx

Cirrus that is a bit on a driveway, luckily we have at max 500ft but I also keep my neighbors drive open which is approx the same amount but we have a fleet of snow removal equipment ready to go. Actually we have come up in the past few years I probably have more ATV seat time than sled time but it is something I enjoy.

As for my wife I will have not to worry about her as she made the call to move up this year and we were not planning on doing that for a couple more years but the decision was to not wait any longer as we were in a good position and bottom line was why wait. As it turns out we have had more friends up here than back at the old place and even finding time for everyone is tough sometimes but a good problem to have so she is always busy and as WD said happy wife. Actually she was living up here months before I made the move. We were pretty fortunate moving as I used my furlough weeks to move over a couple months so it was not big move and was a little a time which was pretty stress free.

Enjoy the new life in da woods and maybe we will cross paths one day.

Last edited:

WorkHardPlayHrd

I guess it would depend on the wife? If she needs 10 friends, 50 pairs of shoes, and to be constantly going out she's probably going to run for the city. But there are some of us where it would be no problem. Guess being raised on a farm does that though. I could happily live in a nice one bedroom cabin with my books, a decent kitchen, and our sleds to ride. O, I must have a fireplace, that is a must! Enjoy your new life away from it all!

Cirrus

Well it does help that she's living in a dream home, and at this point she's buying anything she wants to put in it. Pioneer Log Home - unreal. That aside, the promise made was, we will be driving back to the city for all holidays and any other time. I can live with it, but eventually she will be driving back on her own where necessary. I'm not too worried about it, we've been coming up to this general area since the early 90's, not to mention the fact I sold two homes and now only have the ONE to take care of, so that's awesome to me.

And WD - I heard you wimped out because you got old, and the wife runs the show. Maybe that'll happen to me in about 10-12 years too, we'll see! LOL
My wife ran the show and made me keep two homes for 26 years so the kids could stay in a good school district, but I suffered doing yardwork. Now I get my quality time.

racerx

Oh my wife has the 50 shoes as I had to move them :) but that was a thing of the past as we had this house pretty much stocked prior to the move which we brought up more stuff from the old house but we both wanted to downsize, get out of the rat race and enjoy life before its gone as we have had people close to leave too early which has been an eye opener. Eventually we will have more family up here in Eagle, so another plus.

Like Cirrus, we have been coming up since the late 90s almost always during the cold months and have somewhat become part of the community thru volunteering and thru people we know. One plus was her best friend was a resident up here so she was pretty well versed on how things "work" up here as for instance "restocking" trips that are planned every month or so but the new market in town was a blessing for the quick runs.

Cirrus

Wife doesn't have 50 pairs of shoes, maybe only 25, but she does have at least 4 closets full of damn clothes. I'm lucky if I get one of the closets. Just insane to move all of it.
So glad that's all over.

racerx

LOL, same here but guess I'm guilty as well especially with jackets and hunting gear. This week is one of my first framing projects in the basement building an 8ft double stack closet just so we can get rid of a bulky rolling rack that takes up a bunch of space and filled with stuff. We do agree within the next year we would thin things out just so we did not rush into that while we were moving and we can have a chance to see what we really use.