NST, ISABELLA, FINLAND, MN and surrounding areas

snowchief

Just got home yesterday we stayed in two harbors that is shot but we rode up to trestle on nst on Friday to trestless over on tomahawk to Yukon and there was a lot of snow around trestle but didn't make it back up there after that Sunday talked to some guys who rode north from two harbors on nst and said there was quite a bit of mud but don't know first hand Friday it was great but really warmed up after

oldguy

Rode from Ontario to Tower yesterday 2/20, it wasn't to good once we crossed into the US. The logging roads in Canada were still good on Monday.

snowfish

Best snow, provided it cools down enough to groom will be Tofte north to the Gunflint and beyond. Put about 450 miles up there Thursday - Sunday last week.
The logging areas around Finland got a little ugly.

002%20Mud_zps1ngqob6f.jpg

North Shore trail wasn't bad, but got real bumpy by Saturday afternoon in places. Straight stretches were best,

003%20Bridge_zpstqgqvytl.jpg

but the corners were snowcross moguls.

Sunday I concentrated on the trails around Lutsen since they don't get used like the North Shore Trail. North Shore trail was toast on Sunday.

Beaver Trail

004%20Beaver%20Trail_zps9ovpqsbu.jpg

Deer Trail

005%20Close%20to%20Gunflint_zpstlae0brl.jpg

Spur leading towards North Shore trail toward the Gunflint.

006%20Deer%20Trail_zpsoiwhr1cq.jpg

Carlton peak is always fun, but a little bumpy getting there.

001%20Carlton%20Peak%20Sunrise_zpsv3crrfve.jpg

002%20Carlton%20Peak%20Afternoon_zpslime5q7c.jpg

As long as it's cool enough to groom, there should be some decent stuff Finland north & east. Tomahawk was already getting pretty crewed up by last Friday afternoon.
Head north/east young man! Wish I could join you.

GTL

Great pictures Snowfish. I ride this area twice a year and have never seen these, where are they located?? (I have an area map, so I can look them up) If the storm tracks north enough we will head that way on Mon. or Tues. Thanks, Gary

xcr440

You need to use the local trails up the hill from Tofte to get there. If you stay on the NSST, you'll never even know its even there.

snowfish

Great pictures Snowfish. I ride this area twice a year and have never seen these, where are they located?? (I have an area map, so I can look them up) If the storm tracks north enough we will head that way on Mon. or Tues. Thanks, Gary

My last couple pictures were Carlton Peak. To get to the very top may be too washed out now. Pretty steep, but worth checking. Here's how to get there.

Carlton%20Peak_zpsofmzijtt.jpg

Star is Carlton peak.

The best riding, after the melt down was north of Tofte MN last Sunday. Here's a PDF map.

http://www.visitcookcounty.com/wp-c...Grand-Marais-Gunflint-Trail-Grand-Portage.pdf

As you see, the trails on my map are not on their map. GPSsledMaps has done a pretty good job of charting trails that are vague on club maps. Be safe & have fun.