NW Vilas update 3-14-23

pclark

The morning started out with a cold temp of -17 at 7am. So, I waited until noon to take a ride today, my ride took me from Manitowish Waters over to BJ, quick stop for some gas, all trails into BJ and the gas station were great, snow on all the roads, only rough spot was Trail#2 just west of town where some logging has begun, still very rideable. East from BJ and then south, trails just sweet is all I can say, 15 south and then hooked back up with #8 heading back up into Manitowish Waters from the South west. Not a bad mile and super smooth today, the depth of snow is crazy for this time of year. It says 42 and cloudy for Wednesday and then some snow coming in on Thursday night and Friday with below freezing temps for the weekend. Should be a good weekend coming up but looks warmer for next week.
1678830540081.png
1678830577385.png
1678830621957.png
1678830703521.png

pclark

looks pristine
It was, sometimes good to just go on a ride and see the things you miss if you are riding with a group. That way I can stop and take pics and enjoy the real nature back in the woods that you just don't see any other time of the year. If I see an interesting spot I will try and visit it in the summer to get that perspective. Lots of great things to see up here, just have to take time and ride a little slower to appreciate them.

Tuck

yep I just need to pack up tonight and leave tomorrow for one more wkend of riding after looking at those pics

pclark

yep I just need to pack up tonight and leave tomorrow for one more wkend of riding after looking at those pics
Ya, you probably should, it might be the last really good weekend as it's getting to that time of year.

Tuck

goofy600 and pclark those pics of MW and Watersmeet are not helping me be responsible here lol. from what I can tell reading reports its good pretty much everywhere north and north east of Eagle RIver. going to look for the closest area to ride to limit the drive time if possible. First thought was Mass City, long drive for me.

venturenorth I have a childhood friend you who lived in Sandwich for awhile, small world.

goofy600

Took a ride to eagle river today and all trails I could see looked fantastic, a little burnt by some road crossing but very nice. Big thing for everyone is what happens next 2 days with warm and rain then how much snow. Watersmeet will not groom today or tomorrow but probably start back up Friday then through the weekend. We are running out of money to groom but should be able to keep trails pretty good until the snow is gone or April 1 which ever comes first.

pclark

Took a ride to eagle river today and all trails I could see looked fantastic, a little burnt by some road crossing but very nice. Big thing for everyone is what happens next 2 days with warm and rain then how much snow. Watersmeet will not groom today or tomorrow but probably start back up Friday then through the weekend. We are running out of money to groom but should be able to keep trails pretty good until the snow is gone or April 1 which ever comes first.
It was 43 and sunny in MW today, lots of compression on the snow, it's 39 at 8:30pm and you can hear it melting out there, I see they are calling for 1/4-1/2" of rain now for tomorrow here. Glad I got out on Tuesday, I think today would have been beautiful as well but really warm, it may be coming to and end after this weekend if temps are near 40 everyday next week.

pclark

Currently 39 and light rain at 10:00am in MW. WE have been downgraded to Winter Weather Advisory, maybe 4-8" of snow once we get on the cold side later this afternoon. Things still holding up but if we get .50" of rain that could change.

pclark

Had to go to Minocqua today, it was snowing pretty hard when we left MW and the trails looked great from what I could see from the truck. A fair amount of people up riding this weekend and roads are snow covered again as we received 4" combined from the storm. High of 19 today, lows in single digits next 3-4 nights and High temps lowered to 32 or 33 degrees through Tuesday. I will be taking my Tuesday ride on 3/22 and who knows, maybe we get to the end of the month this year?

wisco-mb

It felt like middle of January! It started snowing in Iron county around 5pm yesterday on our run up to Saxon. It never really stopped snowing till 1pm today! Visibility was really low on grade back to Mercer last night. It was windy and snowing heavy.
Today we went over to PI, Gooches. MW and loops west of Mercer.
Lot of good riding to be had still!

wisco-mb

Couple pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318-215613.png
    Screenshot_20230318-215613.png
    698.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230318-215502.png
    Screenshot_20230318-215502.png
    474.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230318-215419.png
    Screenshot_20230318-215419.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

pclark

It felt like middle of January! It started snowing in Iron county around 5pm yesterday on our run up to Saxon. It never really stopped snowing till 1pm today! Visibility was really low on grade back to Mercer last night. It was windy and snowing heavy.
Today we went over to PI, Gooches. MW and loops west of Mercer.
Lot of good riding to be had still!
Glad you enjoyed the trip and picked the right spots!