NW Vilas Update 3/21

pclark

Took a little ride this morning and met up with a fellow JD (Jerry and his buds) up in Mercer for breakfast at the Great Northern which appears to be the olny place open for breakfast in Mercer right now. Left Mercer and Jerry and his crew headed back to MW as they had to pack up and leave. I took a little ride through some of my favorite trails north of MW and actually drove up to the Michigan state line. It may be my last ride (I've been thinking that for a few weeks now!) and trails were very sweet, I'll let the pictures do the talking. Still loads of snow in the woods and should be able to go through this weekend if you want to get another ride in but temps are warming into the 40's and sunny this weekend so it won't be long now. A great season up here, thanks to all the clubs and establishments that made it just that!
All pics below are from this morning:

1679422838239.png
1679422866820.png
1679422887194.png
1679422943617.png
1679422974606.png
1679423055803.png
1679423071306.png
1679423089669.png
1679423109313.png

wiviperman

Thanks for the real world update, my wife and I are tentatively coming to Manitowish Waters for the weekend and leave on Tuesday next week. Unfortunately my wife sounded a little on the sick side this morning, so we are "playing it by ear".
Hopefully we can make it happen!

pclark

Thanks for the real world update, my wife and I are tentatively coming to Manitowish Waters for the weekend and leave on Tuesday next week. Unfortunately my wife sounded a little on the sick side this morning, so we are "playing it by ear".
Hopefully we can make it happen!
Hope you can as well, it's beautiful up here right now for late in the season.

goofy600

Pclark love trail 11, you should have continued all the way to trail 2 then turn around and go back. So glad they got it opened back up a few years ago.

Last edited:

eyeman

Wow, now those are perfect trails and signage. Are the photo's cherry picked with the snirt corners or are the trails all like this (as of yesterday morning of course)? Vilas Co. is going to have a busy weekend.

wisco-mb

Great pics! We rode those same trails on Saturday. Just beautiful.
11 is a fantastic trail! Was it logging that shut it down for a season or 2?
We almost took 11 on Saturday.. I had a my 3 year old with, and figured with colder temps, it would have been a longer ride between stops. He does like to stop and check things out:)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    874.9 KB · Views: 23

pclark

Pclark love trail 11, you should have continued all the way to trail 2 then turn around and go back. So glad they got it opened back up a few years ago.
Goofy, I don't have a Michigan sticker so I thought I would be legal, maybe next season.

pclark

Wow, now those are perfect trails and signage. Are the photo's cherry picked with the snirt corners or are the trails all like this (as of yesterday morning of course)? Vilas Co. is going to have a busy weekend.
In towns and along highways you will find snirt but you will also find miles of decent trail where the sun doesn't burn through. Where I was yesterday there was no snirt and those trails will be good for some time unless it rains. I will probably go one more time, waiting for a day when I can be out with just my sweatshirt on and it's nice and sunny. dusting of snow this morning and really cold and damp, glad I went on Tuesday.

ridindirty800

You are going to find typical spring riding till the end. Meaning areas in full sun can be mud, plowed roads can be bare, but back in woods will 100% awesome. Plan your route to avoid towns, plowed roads routes and stay in the woods. Heck i trailer sometimes and off load in the woods and bring gas cans in trailer to come back to and fill up and keep riding when you get to the last few days. Just be smart on where you plan to ride and get gas so you are not bare pavement to much.