Off Trail Learning Keweenaw 2-1

garyl62

Lenny agreed to take me on a few forest roads, little did I know Byrn72 would decide to go off the forest roads! Fun time for me, hope I didn't slow them down too much.

DSC04842.jpg DSC04850.jpg DSC04848 (4).jpg DSC04849.jpg

1.This is no forest road, so off we go through the trees. To bad some tried too literally!
2.Byrn72 finding his way back to the road,
3.Lenny carving,
4.Me stuck again :(

Last edited:

garyl62

DSC04843 (2).jpg DSC04844 (2).jpg DSC04845 (2).jpg DSC04862.jpg

A little more fun, then a shot of the group as we were ready to split up at the end of a good afternoon!

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
L

lenny

glad you had fun Gary, hope to spend some more time with even if we aint riding!

garyl62

Same with me Lenny. Coming back as you know in couple weeks, staying an extra day after the big group leaves so will touch base with you. Also starting to think about coming in March. May need to talk to you to see if you have a room in the inn for a weekend.

skiroule

Great shots Gary! Glad to see that you got a taste of the good stuff. I meant to send you a message on Thursday night as I was doing a little solo riding on Friday but I think I hit Cancel instead of Submit. Looks like you were well taken care of though.

L

lenny

Same with me Lenny. Coming back as you know in couple weeks, staying an extra day after the big group leaves so will touch base with you. Also starting to think about coming in March. May need to talk to you to see if you have a room in the inn for a weekend.

Bob Byrn has all the weekends in March and now that you know him you are more than welcome to slip in there with them, place sleeps 6+

cuzzinolaf

Lenny,

Can you teach me how to off-trail and where all the best riding is north of the bridge?

CuzzinLoaf (as Don calls me)

L

lenny

yes,,,yes I can. First of all you stand up and act serious. Scowl like your slightly angry anytime you are on your sled,,or about to ride your sled. Paste about 4 monster stickers on the hood of your sled. Buy 2 backpacks to carry cupcakes and trail mix,, obviously securing one on to your seat. Install 12" bar risers.

Now for riding down the trail,,,,follow any tracks you see going into the wood and avoid trees as well as you can. Actually if you can pile into a 4" tree right from the get go you can have some good laughs with your peeps about the carnage you created. Your not really cool till you wreck something. Try an get stuck as many times as you can so you can brag about it while drinking beers with your buds. When you get stuck, you'll need to dig with a mini plastic shovel 10' if front the sled and 10' behind it right down to the grass, take your coat off as that is cool to do. Depress the thumb throttle to go and release to slow, also standing on the seat is good as you can see farther in front of you avoiding a ravine. It just take practice and I have given you the basics. Best to go by yourself late in the night near the lake shore to gain confidence sometimes within inches of the water at a minimum of 45 mph.

Best place to ride is where you see sparce woods with large stumps protruding out the top of the snow, you can jump those if you lean back and pin it, it's a real hoot getting big air.

skiroule

yes,,,yes I can. First of all you stand up and act serious. Scowl like your slightly angry anytime you are on your sled,,or about to ride your sled. Paste about 4 monster stickers on the hood of your sled. Buy 2 backpacks to carry cupcakes and trail mix,, obviously securing one on to your seat. Install 12" bar risers.

This is really funny but I think I might have seen this person. BTW, until this year I thought it was CuzzinLoaf.

Last edited:

garyl62

..........follow any tracks you see going into the wood and avoid trees as well as you can. Actually if you can pile into a 4" tree right from the get go you can have some good laughs with your peeps about the carnage you created. Your not really cool till you wreck something. Try an get stuck as many times as you can so you can brag about it while drinking beers with your buds. When you get stuck, you'll need to dig with a mini plastic shovel 10' if front the sled and 10' behind it right down to the grass, take your coat off as that is cool to do. Depress the thumb throttle to go and release to slow, also standing on the seat is good as you can see farther in front of you avoiding a ravine.....

Sense a little experience here :) Or should I say, sounds just like my training day! You forgot the snow bungee your buddy has to bring along too.

cuzzinolaf

Man, I had it all wrong. I thought you only stood up when you passed another rider in the woods or on the trail. I already have the Monster stickers and carry a bag on my sled and a backpack. I carry garden tools in the backpack and fake No Trespassing signs in the backpack. Once I get deep back into the woods I place them in random places to keep the good hearted riders out of my sweet spots. I don’t carry any cupcakes with me but have one before I leave and as soon as I get back.

I love the track poach and see where others are going. I usually laugh at the tracks because they turn around just as the saplings get thick. Off trail riding is all about busting up the biggest trees you can and telling everyone trees are for traction. I never thought about digging the 10’ pit in front of and behind my sled. I guess that is why they make the plastic lightweight shovels to begin with?

Night riding is the best when you have a switch to turn off your lights. Land owners can’t see you when you’re trespassing at night and they’ll think it is an angry moose with bad gas when they hear the brap sound.

Stumps = Big air! Gotta remember that.

Thanks for the tips, Lenny. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice Cuzz.

You forgot to make sure you get the LOUDEST can you can find and put it on your sled. After all, anyone knows the loudest sled is also the fastest and has the best rider on it. Heck some day I hope to be good enough to just go with a straight pipe! :)

-John

frosty

Sense a little experience here :) Or should I say, sounds just like my training day! You forgot the snow bungee your buddy has to bring along too.

Snobunje?! I thought when you got stuck you pushed your buddy sled from behind and get your bibs loaded up with snow and dirt. I hate the dirt!

garyl62

Snobunje?! I thought when you got stuck you pushed your buddy sled from behind and get your bibs loaded up with snow and dirt. I hate the dirt!

How's this look for a little dirt from that same day? Hard to see it all, but the only reason that snow is sticking is because it's frozen to the mud that's stuck to the sled.

Attachments

• DSC04853.jpg
    DSC04853.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 125

Boondocker82

How's this look for a little dirt from that same day? Hard to see it all, but the only reason that snow is sticking is because it's frozen to the mud that's stuck to the sled.

I think I know the guy responsible for that. He rides a Polaris Assault and you never want to follow too close to him. Heard he's a real jerk.