Off Trail Riding on the Ottawa National Forest

mrsrunningbear

This information was pointed out to us at a meeting by one of the Ottawa's Law Officers

We are surrounded by the Ottawa National Forest and the use of snowmobiles cross-country is permitted on the Ottawa, except in areas designated closed to snowmobiles.

Snowmobiles are prohibited in designated wildernesses, Sylvania Perimeter Area, and on plowed Forest System Roads. In Semi-primitive Non-motorized Management Areas and Wild and Scenic Rivers Corridors snowmobiling is limited to designated trails.

Forest Service Visitor maps identifying these areas are available at all Forest Service offices (Ontonagon, Watersmeet, Kenton, Ironwood), these maps can be purchased for $14.

Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps do not provide regulations for snowmobile use.

The key is to know where you are riding!

This should give anyone more than enough area to ride and hopefully help keep people off private property

Below is a link to the Ottawa National Forest with more information about snowmobile use on the forest (be sure to expand the text)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ottawa/recreation/wintersports/?recid=12303&actid=92

snowdance

Shhh don't tell anybody! LOL There is lots of area to legally ride off trail in this area and it is quite the gem...

Woodtic

Wolves have gone after sledders in the ONF. Lots of Big Cats caught on trail cams as well. It's best to stick to the trails.

sweeperguy

Shhh don't tell anybody! LOL There is lots of area to legally ride off trail in this area and it is quite the gem...

No there isn't, it sucks. I wouldn't suggest anyone ride in this area, ever.

Everything he said is false, do not attempt to ride in the Ottawa.

There is nothing to see there, move along people...........

Yea OKAY lets not let people know where it is legal to ride off trail in an area that huge. So they don't know where to go and end up riding on private property and maybe we lose more trails. A lot of off trail need trails to access?NO? Sounds like a good plan to me.

Woodtic

Yea OKAY lets not let people know where it is legal to ride off trail in an area that huge. So they don't know where to go and end up riding on private property and maybe we lose more trails. A lot of off trail need trails to access?NO? Sounds like a good plan to me.
It's called sarcasm, take it easy Wheasy. Besides the ONF isn't North of the bridge, everyone knows North of the bridge is where it is at.

sweeperguy

It's called sarcasm, take it easy Wheasy. Besides the ONF isn't North of the bridge, everyone knows North of the bridge is where it is at.

I know this particular post is sarcasm. BUT the majority of users here fully subscribe to the "know and not tell" ideology (of off trail locations).
I Know, I Know, do your research to find what you want to ride.
But a little info to the people wanting to either experience a new area (not everyone's been to the UP before), or do something new (off trail vs always rode the trails)
What a better thread to give out a little bit of info on some areas for "less invested " riders to experience what would be NOT SO SECRET off trail areas. Its my belief that would impact (to the positive) the amount of private property incidents.
And as you point out ONF isn't the best off trail area. Keep north of the bridge "As our little secret" for those knowledgeable riders who want to keep their off trail close to their chest.

mrsrunningbear

I know this particular post is sarcasm. BUT the majority of users here fully subscribe to the "know and not tell" ideology (of off trail locations).
I Know, I Know, do your research to find what you want to ride.
But a little info to the people wanting to either experience a new area (not everyone's been to the UP before), or do something new (off trail vs always rode the trails)
What a better thread to give out a little bit of info on some areas for "less invested " riders to experience what would be NOT SO SECRET off trail areas. Its my belief that would impact (to the positive) the amount of private property incidents.
And as you point out ONF isn't the best off trail area. Keep north of the bridge "As our little secret" for those knowledgeable riders who want to keep their off trail close to their chest.

Thank you exactly my point sweeperguy! and yes I know you other guys were joking around too!

But man, having the Ottawa's LEO come and try to help snowmobile club's not lose trails because of the "trespassing on private property issues" by explaining what the Ottawa has to offer for off trail riding was just perfect! Almost 3/4 million acres to play in and what's $14 dollars for a map so you know where you can ride and not cause problems for others?? a stop at McDonalds, tank of gas, couple beers? So worth the investment to me! and a must share with others to try and stop the trespassing!

chords

Don't think its the $14 for a map. If its not on a app or a 4" screen in their face telling one where to turn left or right its too much to handle. most would never know how to read a actual paper map and be able to use their own judgment of direction.

onX ap is very helpful, VV mapping, paper map, some guys even buy plat books. Research before you even load your trailer to make the trip up and make phone calls.