oil change on a 4 stroke

The manual for my 09 Nytro says to change the oil at the start of a new season. Is there an issue with doing it now while I’ve got everything taken off for the end of the season detailing? II guess I have the same question for the chain case oil. It sure would be easier just to take care of it now. Thanks fellow Dee’ers!

Dean

eao

Better to park it with fresh oil than with used oil, right? That used oil could turn to sludge if left sitting for 6 months or more. Change it now!

Last edited:

srt20

Used oil sitting in the engine will not turn to sludge. Change the oil in the fall. Unless you want your new oil contaminated with condensation in fall when you start it. Your old oil is already used, you dont need it for anything so leave it in there, and run the engine a little before you change it in fall.

dab102999

This is the new "What oil to use" debate...go to totallyahama and you will see 100's of different answers and reasons why to do it their way. I myself change it in the spring when I do my clean up. Unburnt fuel in the oil so get it out. I also will not and do not start my sleds thru the summer either. If you plan on doing that I would wait till fall.

uncle_ed

I believe my service manual states to do it now as old oil will contain unburned fuel and combustion by products that can have a corrosive nature and fresh oil for starage is recommended.

G

G

I believe my service manual states to do it now as old oil will contain unburned fuel and combustion by products that can have a corrosive nature and fresh oil for starage is recommended.

What Ed said. Store with fresh, uncontaminated oil. May as well do the chaincase too as long as you are going to have a little mess going. Then siphon out as much gas as you can and throw a little seafoam in the gas tank and run engine about five minutes. Done. Do not start in the summer unless you plan on getting it good and hot or you could get condensation problems. Don't forget to grease everything that has a zerk to get rid of moisture. If you are really anal you can loosen up the track and take all the weight off the suspension. If you have absolutely nothing to do you can take the clutches apart so the springs don't sack out.

whitedust

Change engine oil & chain oil now & leave it alone don't run until the snow flies. Works well for me. That is what I like about 4s do it all in Spring & charge battery in Fall & good to go. Grub has the rest covered depending on your level of anal retention.

Thanks to all for your help on this everyone. I will be changing the oil today and finishing up putting this away for the summer. I can't get the bike out until I finish this task. It's the deal I made with myself to stay motivated to wrap it up!