old mercury outboard lower unit

jonesin

i know its a long shot but i have an old crappy pontoon on my little lake and it stopped shifting correctly so i took it in and they said the lower unit gears are shot and unavailable.
ive started looking on facebook and ebay but curious if anybody has an old mercury force 40 hp laying around that died but might have the lower unit....
I will find out what years are compatable but mine is a 92 and of course they units changed mid year, i believe mine is the old one that would work with the mid to late 80's and they say 30,40,50 hp are the same
like i said i will talk to the guy tomorrow and he is supposed to give me some numbers that i can use to match up but thought i would throw it out there.....

bearrassler

If you get the part #s that you need put them on here, I have a few places that I can check even if they are obsolete

Sweep800

Try “Penns outboard sales” I was looking for the right housing for a 1949 even rude sportsman and they had it!

jonesin

thanks for suggestions!
The parts are obsolete and not available is the problem...
I am picking it back up tonight and going to pull it back off so i can compare it to one i found on line
i found one that was supposedly already rebuilt before his motor lost a cylinder, its a couple hours north i just hope i am not getting ripped off, i am way too trusting....