"On The Snow" Avalanche Class by Mike Duffy For Jan. 12-16 Snowies Trip

skeedoo

Well it seems as though we have a small army of hard core sledders heading to the Snowies for the Jan. 12-16 "Un-Official John Dee Western Riding Forum Ride." So I took it upon myself to call Mike Duffy of Avalanche 1 (website www.avalanche1.com) and ask him if he would be able to work into his schedule an "On The Snow" Avalanche Class during those dates. Appears he can... He would be available Jan. 13th and/or the 14th to conduct his 4 hour "on the snow", real deal course. The only thing is you have to have taken his 4 hour classroom seminar in order to qualify for the "On The Snow" Course. Classes limited to 8-10 people, he is willing to conduct 2 classes and the cost is $79.00 per person.

Here's what I need to know:
1. I need a roll call of who is "in" on the class during those dates.
2. Which of the dates works best for you and we will try to make it work.

I know this is a huge sacrifice to give up 4 hours of "Riding Time" but when are you gonna get the chance to have Mike Duffy come to you instead of you planning a trip around one of his "On the Snow" classes (which is what my plan was this year). Also 4 hours of time to learn a lifetime of knowledge sounds like a good tradeoff to me. Myself and my 2 travelling partners for this trip are already in, so who else is willing to make the commitment? Lets make this thing happen...

polarisrider1

Well it seems as though we have a small army of hard core sledders heading to the Snowies for the Jan. 12-16 "Un-Official John Dee Western Riding Forum Ride." So I took it upon myself to call Mike Duffy of Avalanche 1 (website www.avalanche1.com) and ask him if he would be able to work into his schedule an "On The Snow" Avalanche Class during those dates. Appears he can... He would be available Jan. 13th and/or the 14th to conduct his 4 hour "on the snow", real deal course. The only thing is you have to have taken his 4 hour classroom seminar in order to qualify for the "On The Snow" Course. Classes limited to 8-10 people, he is willing to conduct 2 classes and the cost is $79.00 per person.

Here's what I need to know:
1. I need a roll call of who is "in" on the class during those dates.
2. Which of the dates works best for you and we will try to make it work.

I know this is a huge sacrifice to give up 4 hours of "Riding Time" but when are you gonna get the chance to have Mike Duffy come to you instead of you planning a trip around one of his "On the Snow" classes (which is what my plan was this year). Also 4 hours of time to learn a lifetime of knowledge sounds like a good tradeoff to me. Myself and my 2 travelling partners for this trip are already in, so who else is willing to make the commitment? Lets make this thing happen...

Sounds good!

So where will he hold this out there? Someplace near Centennial I assume? I know the class he was going to do here in Lake Geneva was going to be at the ski hill there.

Last edited:

Firecatguy

I need to check with red and robbie as they have not taken his L1 class yet...he will be here on dec3rd see if we can get them into that class.....great idea

fgsacts

If anyone is keeping track, I am probably not planning on attending this class. It is not out of lack of interest or desire to gain the kowledge. We are driving 15+ hours to ride for three days and those days are short due to only riding in day light. I am not speaking for our "sub segment" of this ride but I know that at least half have not or will not have taken level 1 either and would not be eligible to attend. Only three of the thirteen have attended level 1 for sure and I believe several more are planning on it before this trip. It is a great idea and I hope there is enough interest. I am going to try and make the class in Lake Geneva, WI if my schedule permits. Andy

polarisrider1

If anyone is keeping track, I am probably not planning on attending this class. It is not out of lack of interest or desire to gain the kowledge. We are driving 15+ hours to ride for three days and those days are short due to only riding in day light. I am not speaking for our "sub segment" of this ride but I know that at least half have not or will not have taken level 1 either and would not be eligible to attend. Only three of the thirteen have attended level 1 for sure and I believe several more are planning on it before this trip. It is a great idea and I hope there is enough interest. I am going to try and make the class in Lake Geneva, WI if my schedule permits. Andy

Been thinking about that Andy. I am taking L1 on Dec. 12 but It is 20 hr. drive for me on a limited amount of time. Maybe will pass on the 2nd half. We are going to have so many guys out there I am sure that they can put 7-8 together for a class. Those 3 days are going to go by fast. I sure am looking forwars to meeting up with everyone. funny thing is I have rode with many of the guys at Tog. but I just didn't know who was who by name, only be recognition. Looking forward to the trip! Hope Danger gets his gear in order. I can loan him everything (I have extras) but my beacon. Wayne

Firecatguy

Looks like We have Plans for dec3 and there no way for Red or Robbie to make the L1 class.....we might have to pass on On-snow class...............

skeedoo

I have talked to Mike Duffy and let him know there was not enough interest due to lack of riding time. I'll be hitting one of his "On the Snow" classes anyway this year so it works out fine to bag it for our Snowy's trip. He did mention that hopefully knowone needs his class for this trip so lets all keep it as safe as possible.