One Arm Snowmobiling

heckler56

Looking for people’s thoughts and insights. My brother lost his lower right arm almost 40 years ago. He modified his 82 Yamaha to allow for left hand operation. The sled is now too old and tired to service.

What newer sleds do people see as modifiable for him and how? He isn’t looking for high horsepower sleds and primarily trail rides in the Birchwood, Shell Lake and Rice Lake WI area. The sled does need to break trail occasionally to get to the groomed trails.

I was thinking something like a newer Ski Doo 900 with the electronic throttle could be moved to the left side. Maybe 2013ish Yamaha Vector with power steering? I believe mountain sleds have adapters for throttles on both sides(?).

Thoughts?

whitedust

Looking for people’s thoughts and insights. My brother lost his lower right arm almost 40 years ago. He modified his 82 Yamaha to allow for left hand operation. The sled is now too old and tired to service.

What newer sleds do people see as modifiable for him and how? He isn’t looking for high horsepower sleds and primarily trail rides in the Birchwood, Shell Lake and Rice Lake WI area. The sled does need to break trail occasionally to get to the groomed trails.

I was thinking something like a newer Ski Doo 900 with the electronic throttle could be moved to the left side. Maybe 2013ish Yamaha Vector with power steering? I believe mountain sleds have adapters for throttles on both sides(?).

Thoughts?
I would as Kip at Pat’s what they could do with an eps vector or an Apex plenty of engine breaking will help too.

600_RMK_144

Just throwing this out there... A guide out at Togwotee Mountain Lodge has the same situation and might be a good one to bounce ideas off of. Interestingly enough, they call him "Lefty." But yes, they do make finger throttles to put on the left side of the bars. Goldfinger Lefty Throttle is the most popular. Good luck figuring something out for him!

Hoosier

Was going to mention Lefty. Guy rode better than I would if I lived on that hill year-round for 20 years....

Good luck. I'd guess the newer sleds would be easier to make work for this than the older ones.

heckler56

Was going to mention Lefty. Guy rode better than I would if I lived on that hill year-round for 20 years....

Good luck. I'd guess the newer sleds would be easier to make work for this than the older ones.
I have always said my brother is better with one arm than I am with both. I got the brains, kind of, sort of.

Appreciate the referral. Thank you.

ezra

Just throwing this out there... A guide out at Togwotee Mountain Lodge has the same situation and might be a good one to bounce ideas off of. Interestingly enough, they call him "Lefty." But yes, they do make finger throttles to put on the left side of the bars. Goldfinger Lefty Throttle is the most popular. Good luck figuring something out for him!
he left that tourist trap yrs ago