Oneida Fatality

rph130

My wife was checking WUPN and Facebook this morning and saw something about another Oneida fatality over the weekend. I did not see the story and was surprised when I signed on to this forum today that there is no talk of this yet. 40 something year old male overtaking another sled on the trail and could not navigate a turn and hit a tree. Of course, I am sorry to hear news of another death on a snowmobile and I offer condolences to family of the rider, but I ask what the hell is the hurry? I was younger once and enjoyed grabbing the throttle and seeing what the sled had but there was a time and place for that. Like on a lake in daylight. I know I am getting older because I prefer a weekday trail ride to avoid a lot of the weekend warriors, but I still have to ask why a lot of riders feel the need to push the limit on the trails. Are they in a hurry to get to next bar, or trying to set some sort of mileage record, or trying to get the ride over quicker? I just don't get it.

whitedust

Really not appropriate to discuss riding styles under a fatality topic. If you really care post a separate topic to hear all sides of the issue. My condolences to those who bear the loss of a loved one.

rph130

Really not appropriate to discuss riding styles under a fatality topic. If you really care post a separate topic to hear all sides of the issue. My condolences to those who bear the loss of a loved one.
Not looking to spar with you whitedust and as I said, I was sorry to hear of another death and would extend condolences to the family if I knew them. I don't mean to disrespect a fatality topic but when the DNR investigation is complete, riding style, ie. speed, is exactly what this unnecessary fatality is going to be about.

whitedust

Not looking to spar with you whitedust and as I said, I was sorry to hear of another death and would extend condolences to the family if I knew them. I don't mean to disrespect a fatality topic but when the DNR investigation is complete, riding style, ie. speed, is exactly what this unnecessary fatality is going to be about.
I hear ya no harm I just didn’t want to turn your topic into a riding style debate here. That’s my opinion only things can get chippy quickly on riding styles. Separate topic would be more appropriate again imo

snobuilder

Seeing as how the topic is open....there is way too much passive aggression on the roadways and also an extension of that on the trails.

I can't tell you the times that i have caught someone on the highway and followed them at speed below or right at the limit but when the lane is clear and I go to make a quick clean pass it somehow turns into a hurt feelings drag race.....WTF ppl ain't you got any control in yur own lives that you want to act like some sort a traffic cop? This same pathetic attitude comes out on the trails as well. Not saying that this is what happened in this fatality but I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of it.

This is even more evident on highways where a 3 lane passing zone is paved in.

The guy leading the pack at or below the posted limit all of a sudden when in the 3 lane passing zone decides to put the pedal to the metal and run 10 to 15 over. Why?

Last edited: