Oneida/Lincoln county update 1-21-24

attakman

I wish I had good news for you ...but I dont...we remain in a holding pattern, and trails remain closed...clubs have been working on wet areas, and problem spots, and checking lakes...unfortunately we found unsafe ice areas on lake nokomis ( only 2 to 3 inches in spots)...while there is a solid 8 inches in some of the bays, the ice thickness varies across the lake...with the pending warm weather, and potential rain...we chose not to mark the lake.
The cold weather certainly helped us, but it didnt fix everything. We have 3 to 6 inches of snow on the ground, after panning /rolling that leaves us with an 1 to 2 inch base in spots...we simply need more snow, and there really isn't any in the forecast for the next 10 days, and above average temperatures are also expected...we are fast approaching our latest ever opening date of January 25th, and I fear we will beat that record badly this year. Also we've had some people riding closed trails...this causes us tons of issues...please stay off the trails until they open..no matter how inviting those panned trails look...please stay off them. Our winter from hell continues.

racerx

Not related to Oneida or Lincoln, but we have been seeing more and more sled tracks around Lando and not talking about the typical MI access in town, but rather west of town which is concerning, hopefully this does not start to bring up issues.
The BP in town has had many trucks/trailers parked overnight for the last week or so, but that is for MI access which has generally been accepted since MI has always opened up before WI, and was always the same situation with ATVs before there was any defined trails in the area.

whitedust

Not related to Oneida or Lincoln, but we have been seeing more and more sled tracks around Lando and not talking about the typical MI access in town, but rather west of town which is concerning, hopefully this does not start to bring up issues.
The BP in town has had many trucks/trailers parked overnight for the last week or so, but that is for MI access which has generally been accepted since MI has always opened up before WI, and was always the same situation with ATVs before there was any defined trails in the area.
Going to be a big issue if gates are closed.

attakman

Yep...awful weather...absolutely nothing in the long range forecast that would give us any hope of opening trails here the next 10 to 14 days.