ORV Trails in the UP

berglandbaybar

I have ORV riders coming into the bar that were told by locals that it is ok to ride the snowmobile trails. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. I don't know why they are being told this. Riding on private land that is used as a snowmobile trail on an ORV could jeopardize our snowmobile trails. Also the DNR and US Forrest service could have a negative impact on future snowmobile and ORV trails. Please know where you are going before you go.

L

lenny

makes you wonder who is saying this stuff, thanks for the post, it keep us aware!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say it is because the locals have been riding the snowmobile trails with their atvs for years, and so that is what they tell people.

L

lenny

could be, maybe a combo of that and people just assuming it all good to go

megan600

We would like to come up and do an ATV trip, but to be clear...Are the trails that are marked on my snowmobile map as ORV use and forest roads what you are referring to? There are some on my map that look like snowmobile only, which I will stay off of, but the ones that show ORV we were planning to take. Should we be ok?? I definitely have no intentions of ruining something for snowmobile season.

M

Mattarsc

Alot of the trails Marquette County area are open. Certain sections granted are closed (east trail out of Skandia heading towards Chatam for example) and people take alternate routes. Or in some cases whole cities....like Marquette. lol But we are very lucky that we don't have alot of abuse of summer or winter trails in this area.

Go Fast or Go Home

My friends and I would love to come up to the U.P. to go ATVing but nobody can say for sure what trails or forest roads are open or closed. Last time we road we were on a two track that was open, then we crossed a road and continued on only to find out we were not supposed to be on that section. Cost all eight of us $200 apiece. The DNR says it's your responsibilty to know, but when you live 500 miles away it's almost impossible to figure it out. We will not be back. If the State of Michigan wants tourism dollars they really need to get their act together.

L

lenny

did you ever consider a trail map that shows you the open trails?

cooksend

My friends and I would love to come up to the U.P. to go ATVing but nobody can say for sure what trails or forest roads are open or closed. Last time we road we were on a two track that was open, then we crossed a road and continued on only to find out we were not supposed to be on that section. Cost all eight of us $200 apiece. The DNR says it's your responsibilty to know, but when you live 500 miles away it's almost impossible to figure it out. We will not be back. If the State of Michigan wants tourism dollars they really need to get their act together.

Really? You have the internet just like we all do and 500 miles or 50 miles we get the same information! Do some research, ask some questions and aquire a map! State of MI gets lots of my tourism dollars!

Woodtic

There are State laws,DNR LAWS,and County laws. Thy all conflict each other and seem to change every year.If the locals can't keep up, how is some one from out of state?

mezz

Simply get maps from MI-Trale & the Keweenaw ATV Club. Plenty of designated areas to ride, problem solved.-Mezz

Last edited:

Woodtic

So I need to trailer from my cabin to the trail? The roads I ride on to get to the trail are not on the map. DNR said you can't Houghton County said you can? This is my point,some public roads are both legal and illegal to ride on,depending on who pulls you over.GO FAST OR GO HOME has a valid point.

Woodtic

I'm referring to public roads, unpaved.We all know about campgrounds,PRIVATE LAND,airports,wetlands,where some bug mates,near the crazy locals bait pile.

L

lenny

woodtic, spend a little time doing research. You have received links which is available on the WWW and available to you. Seems like so many people assume the worst and need someone else to bail them out. We're glad to help with info but the questions posted include a butt load of pessimism.

Woodtic

As you can see in my post 13,I have done the research.If you want to atv in the up,you need a orv map and know the county laws, dnr laws and state laws.Not just the map.By the way LENNY,You are one of the few on this site ,that gives good info year round.