ORV Trails

sMgE46M

Does anyone know restrictions or requirements for using a dirt bike on the ORV trails in the UP? (in summer - no this is not in timbersled discussions)

I have a dual purpose debating picking up a 2nd bike for family/friends - ive only ridden mine west on single track but thinking possible weekend getaways to the UP to ride ORV trails with both.

Im sure you have to register it as ORV but curious if there is requirements like brake lights, head lights (something my dual purpose passes but the 2nd bike (motox) would need some additions...

feel free to flame me... ive browsed online but havent been able to find anything definitive.

-thanks in advanced

nytro_rtx

a nice person sent me this already. Thank you.

so a motocross bike is legal with purchase of orv permit? anyone confirm? (and addition of a spark arrestor)

Yes a motocross bike is legal to ride the trails as long as you have the ORV sticker on it. You don't need any kind of lights or any of that on it, just sticker and go! It's a great time riding UP there, have put many miles on my old YZ450F and now YZ250X.

sMgE46M

Yes a motocross bike is legal to ride the trails as long as you have the ORV sticker on it. You don't need any kind of lights or any of that on it, just sticker and go! It's a great time riding UP there, have put many miles on my old YZ450F and now YZ250X.
thank you! found a good deal from a buddy for a 450 and debating pulling the trigger on it. Just didnt want to have something that might not play out the way i expected.

Appreciate your response.

SunnySide

Posting in this topic because I'm genuinely trying to do some research. We've never been dirt biking in the UP. Where would be a good place to go? We like more challenging trails and that's the problem we're having in Wisconsin. The areas we usually go in WI have become easy-going gravel trails that are really boring. Scenic but not what we're looking for.

ICT Sledder

I suppose you could, but I gotta think the sled/ORV trails on a dirt bike would be terrifically boring. Good for site seeing, pretty dull otherwise.

Is there technical single track in the UP? That's what I think of when we talk about dirt bikes.

sMgE46M

Posting in this topic because I'm genuinely trying to do some research. We've never been dirt biking in the UP. Where would be a good place to go? We like more challenging trails and that's the problem we're having in Wisconsin. The areas we usually go in WI have become easy-going gravel trails that are really boring. Scenic but not what we're looking for.
good question - im not sure either. But i think going by munising / lake front would be fun. I dont think anything will be "technical" there... but probably a good thing seeing id be with family/novice friends.

SunnySide

I suppose you could, but I gotta think the sled/ORV trails on a dirt bike would be terrifically boring. Good for site seeing, pretty dull otherwise.

Is there technical single track in the UP? That's what I think of when we talk about dirt bikes.
That's what I'm getting at. Single track or atv trails that aren't just a smooth road-type of trail

hermie

Have you ridden in conover yet? Greg from premier power sports has put in trails just for motorcycles with all kinds of different levels of trails. Hoping to try it out this year. I believe it's called the Tamarack trail system.

SunnySide

Have you ridden in conover yet? Greg from premier power sports has put in trails just for motorcycles with all kinds of different levels of trails. Hoping to try it out this year. I believe it's called the Tamarack trail system.
I've heard of it but haven't checked it out. Good idea thanks!

nytro_rtx

Have a look at Porterfield and Bass Lake, they're both motorcycle only single track. Porterfield is a bigger trail system and is really a good time with many loops thru the whole trail system. I usually rode out of White Pine and the trails around there can be muddy and really rutted up from the ATV/UTV's and can be alot of fun also.

chunk06

There is a Michigan Trail Riders group on Facebook that gets good traffic. I'm also looking forward to trying the new trails in Conover Lando area

cooksend

Try The Tamaracks in Conover, WI. It's a pretty new system and has a mix of trail with amazing flow! 10 Campsites at the trailhead as well. The trail was put together by the Landover Dualsporters Club. Check them out on Facebook.

mrsrunningbear

yes most all trails are open to 2 wheeled in the western up. There are a couple of trails that don't allow 2 wheeled because of private land owners, P Trail/ 13 also the Keweenaw has some closed to 2 wheeled. We get lots of groups with motorcycles at our resort