Painting side panels on Ski Doo xp?

pcarp

I would like to paint the side panels on my 08 ski doo and wanted to ask if anyone has sucessfully done this? I don't have access to body shop type tools or spray guns, so I am hoping to be able to accomplish this project using "rattle cans." Please send along your tips and products used if you have had success with this project. Thanks

uncle_ed

I have not painted those panels but have experiance painting from my background in the auto industry. If you opt to paint these panels you will find good adhesion is going to be your biggest problem. I am thinking they are a polyolifin based product like many parts on a car where proper sanding is important. I would use a scotch brite pad and rough up every square inch of the panels including nooks & crannies and all edges that would recieve paint. You would then want to clean the panels with soap and water to remove any loose particles but also any mold release agents that still reside on the panels. Before painting the panels avoid any solvent cleaners to prep the panels as they will reactivate the mold release products from the panels. Once you are ready to apply paint you will want to first spray down an adhesion promoter which is also available in ratlle cans and will help your paint bite down and adhere better. There is still no guarentee that an impact wont crack the paint loose but these steps will better your chances against paint delamination. Good luck!

indy_500

i know they all reccomend krylon plastic paint, but i've had better results with just regular rustoleum paint on plastic rather than the krylon stuff. just my 2 cents

samc

Make sure what ever paint you use it has a flex agent in it for the plastic other wise it will crack.

pcarp

Thanks for all the suggestions. I basically followed the instructions given on the doo talk link and the panels turned out great! I had to shop around to find "flat" black krylon fusion paint, and I am glad I did. The finish looks great, just like factory black panels. The only details I would add to the instructions on doo talk are that I used "goo gone" to get the sticker residue off the panels. That stuff loosens the adhesive really well, then used a wide putty knife to scrape it off.
We will see how it holds up when the snow flies!