Parking for a Cause

bayfly

Great idea Kip. There are lots of great causes, and I expect this board will be very helpful in the selection process. Taking on this type of responsibility is no small feat. One of my personal favorites is Habitat for Humanity. They require recipients to apply (not everyone gets an award) and they require the homeowners to contribute “sweat equity” as part of the build process. it appears there is a chapter in Houghton. Please consider this as an option. Thanks for all your great work!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kip, totally awesome! I failed to ask you why you did that a couple of weeks ago, when I picked up my Nytro. You guys continue to kill it!

kip

Great ideas to all and thank you. I'll talk to my wife Trisha about setting up for payment after hours for sure. Maybe when it gets up and rolling some of you can bring up someone in need. It may not be a lot but like you said every little bit helps!

Lenny

As you all well know parking can be a issue at times in the U.P. when going sledding, and a lot of places are starting to charge daily fees for that parking. We just purchased 3 acres in Greenland last summer and we've removed trees, leveled it, and graveled it. We put over $20,000 into this parking with snowmobilers in mind. Here's my idea and I want to call it parking for a cause. If any of you have input please feel free to post it. My plan is to put a donation can on the counter at Pat's Motorsports and label it parking for a cause. I thought we could collect donations and each month give them to a different non-profit or cause. Maybe churches, cancer association, elderly in need, and such things that may be happening during a critical time for people. I thought this way sledders would feel like they're supporting a great cause and ultimately feel good about giving for the daily spot. What do you all think? I'm pretty excited about it!!
Such a great idea and so like you to give back. God bless you brother!

wiscrev

While it is not the UP, it is local. An association [I'll get the correct party if you want] is starting a "Little house" community for homeless veterans in Rhinelander. I believe they already have the land. It will include a dispensary and a PX. A most worthy cause for our vets.

kirk600

Excellent idea Kip. Perhaps you could make a sign with a "goal" clearly stated, include current amount raised. Once you reach your goal, start a new one with a new "cause" ..... each season your dealership should post a sign of how much sledders have donated. Our car Club has raised over 35k for VA center and local hospice, by our participants in our shows.....over last 26 years!

kip

Yes, sounds like a nice cause for sure. Anything with our veterans is always a positive. I'll do that kirk600. I was thinking of donating it monthly but I could just do a bigger donation at the end of each winter too and just have one cause per winter. Still trying to figure out the best way to go. Otherwise it would most likely be smaller donations each month to different causes.

euphoric1

Excellent idea Kip. Perhaps you could make a sign with a "goal" clearly stated, include current amount raised. Once you reach your goal, start a new one with a new "cause" ..... each season your dealership should post a sign of how much sledders have donated. Our car Club has raised over 35k for VA center and local hospice, by our participants in our shows.....over last 26 years!
Posting a goal may be the drive to donate more generously for sure!

euphoric1

Yes, sounds like a nice cause for sure. Anything with our veterans is always a positive. I'll do that kirk600. I was thinking of donating it monthly but I could just do a bigger donation at the end of each winter too and just have one cause per winter. Still trying to figure out the best way to go. Otherwise it would most likely be smaller donations each month to different causes.
when and how much is the tough decision but the fact you are doing this is beyond honorable, I agree with Kirk600, pick out some charities/causes and post a goal, any amount makes a difference but by posting a goal it may get you there sooner and make a big difference, instead of just having a place to park.

kirk600

There's no shortage of people, or organizations, that need help. Anything you do to help is better than not doing anything Kip. My thoughts on creating a goal, is that a goal creates common ground and values for each "cause" and eliminates any hint of bias towards one over another.
Just Some things you need to think about to keep things positive, not everyone will agree but this is your way of making it a better place, so don't get discouraged 👍

kip

Our 1st full month was great. Sledders donated $560 dollars for the months of January! Our first donation will go to the Adventure Mountain Lions right here in Greenland. They're a great non-profit organization and their main initiative is to provide eye tests and glasses to those in need. They also provide seeing eye dogs for the blind. Thank you all who have supported!

kirk600

Great news Kip , thanks to all who helped make it successful!
Maybe you can provide a comment box for those who have donated. And share them letters with the local clubs!!! We all need to hear positive things about the people and the sport...... to offset the negative publicity.. we're not all bad.
And get a response letter from Adventure Mountain Lions to share with the clubs 👍👍