Pasty dough recipe

01xc600

Does anyone have a good recipe for pasty dough? I'm tired of ruining good pasty filling with crappy dough.
I'm looking for a recipe I can mix up that'll make a specific number of pastys of a specific size so I know not to roll it out too thin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alan

booondocker

Get out your "joy of cooking" cook book, and turn to page 641 and see "Pate Brisee"

work 1/2 cup of chilled butter (NOT MARGARINE) plus 3 tablespoons of vegetable shortening very lightly into 2 cups of flour (all purpose) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt with fingers or bread mixer, then make a "well" and put 5 or 6 tablespoons of cold water in and make into a soft ball. Ball should not stick to fingers or board if using one. Now allow the mix to 'rest' for 2 to 36 hours (over nite) cover with damp cloth for the shorter time, or aluminum foil for the longer.

I improvise with the following.

Shorten up some of the water, but mixing one egg in there. I also put one table spoon of sugar, and 1/2 tsp baking soda...and the final secrete....shuush...ingrediate, is....tiny bit of vinegar (cider) which guaranties a flaky crust. Strangely this vinegar doesn't affect the flavor at all...I guess it bakes out.

What, you don't own a joy of cookin book...shame on you! Christmas is coming and you should order one. Tells more than just how to throw stuff together.

btw when cherries or raspberries are ripe, I use the vingar trick there too, and the crust is very lardy...like those you find at the store...pretty stuff, but just not up to standards. Been doing this since I was a kid making black raspberry pies, eat'n them and heading out to pick more to make another....

mrs_bob

Click on Pasty Cam from John Dee Links menu and ask this question on the "What's UP" page. A lot of pasty makers there. A pasty does sound good!